Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
97381174

My corgi ate an entire container of l-lysine powder

Customer Question

My corgi ate an entire container of l-lysine powder prescribed to our cat. The size of the container is
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: 500 mg lysine hydrochloride
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: Luke no he is healthy He is 2
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Scott Perry replied 9 days ago.
Hello. My name is***** and I understand that Luke ate about 500 mg of lysine. Is that correct? Have you noticed any signs of upset stomach such as vomiting or diearrhea?
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Nothing. He appears just fine
This supplement has a wide margin of safety and a dose of 500 mg is not expected to have any long term side effects. Upset stomach, such as vomiting or lack of appetite, are possible as well, but typically dogs do not show any issues with digestion. Treatment is aimed at monitoring for upset stomach and treating with an anti-nausea medication if necessary.

I hope that answers your question. I am happy to answer more questions if you have any. If you are satisfied, I would appreciate a positive review. You may leave up to 5 stars when ready. Thank you.