Samuel Peck
Samuel Peck,
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian at Meadow Hill's
98574077

Just got new puppy whippet/stag 10wks has one bowed front

Customer Question

Hi just got new puppy whippet/stag 10wks has one bowed front leg that shakes a bit no soreness to touch happy for u to bend and rub leg dosent seem to be in pain
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: A tiny scratch
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Dusty
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Dusty?
Customer: Not sure if been vaccinated
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Samuel Peck replied 11 days ago.

Greetings, I’m Dr. Peck, a small animal veterinarian in general practice. Hopefully I might be of some help. One moment while I reply…

The vaccine protocol for puppies involves starting vaccinations at 6-8 weeks old and then every 3-4 weeks thereafter until they are 16 weeks old. The reason I'm stating that is because you mentioned Dusty is 10 weeks old and you aren't sure if he's been vaccinated. I'd suggest confirming whether or not Dusty has or has not received any vaccinations if you able to, but it sounds like you are likely due for a visit to your local veterinarian for a wellness puppy visit (physical examination, vaccinations, deworming)... so given the concern about the bowed leg, I'd suggest calling to schedule for a wellness visit soon and mention you have a concern about his leg as well.

This could be something minor that they will recommend monitoring. They might recommend radiographs (x-rays) to evaluate it further. On the more serious side dogs can have what's called angular limb deformities, which can get worse as they grow without surgical intervention in some cases.

Start with a routine puppy visit to see what your vet things about the limb. Don't give any at-home pain medications, especially to a 10 week old puppy, and considering he doesn't seem in pain to you (although it's possible your vet could think he is depending on physical examination, so get him in soon). Dusty would be due for a visit even if he appeared perfectly healthy is the bot***** *****ne so get him scheduled.

Let me know if you have any follow-up questions, simply write me back! Otherwise, please be sure to kindly rate using the stars, so that I receive credit for helping with your question today (this is how professionals on this site are compensated for their time). Thanks! – Dr. Peck.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Hi Samuel I'm sorry but kids must of been on hear not sure what has happened but I have notified PayPal to cancel any transaction so I'm still trying to find out what they have got me signed up for

Understood, I will opt out. Go ahead an contact justanswer customer service through their website.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thank you so sorry to waste ur time have emailed so see what happens