Richard Rawling
Richard Rawling,
Experience:  Veterinary Surgeon at Tameside Veterinary Clinic
97222438

Today i was watching tv with my dog's and I said "you guys

Customer Question

Today i was watching tv with my dog's and I said "you guys want to go out?". My dog popped his head up because he was lying on the floor in front of the couch. His third eyelid was about half covering both eyeballs. At first I figured I just woke him up too abruptly but they didn't retract. Then he stood up and his back legs opened up really wide and he started hobbling/waddling. I knew then something was very wrong. That went on for about 5 mins then his walk got better but when he stood still his back legs were shaking so much like they were about to give out. He was also walking at a diagonal crashing into stuff. He was in good spirits otherwise and I gave him half a treat to test his appetite and he ate it without a problem.I took him to the ER and X-rays came back and said his chest and abdomen are normal. They did blood work and his liver and kidney enzymes are normal. She said his electrolytes were slightly off but they were supplementing them with fluids they are giving him. The only other thing is his platelets were low around 100,000. No fever and blood pressure is good. Tomorrow she will be testing for tick disease and Addison's disease. Any other diseases you think might be possible I should have her check for?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Richard Rawling replied 3 months ago.

Hi, i`m Richard, a Veterinarian from the UK. Hopefully I can help today.

Has he had any back trouble in the past?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No none

Tick borne disease and addisons would be high on my list too. However with an acute onset like this I would be suspicious of spinal pain. Did they discuss ct/mri scans to check for disc problems?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No they did not. They called already this morning to say the ran his 40x (I might have that wrong) heartworm and Lyme panel and that was all negative. The test for addisons has to be sent out so it will be a few days. They also said his platelets are now normal this morning. They are all ready to release him without any answers. I just wonder if there's something more to it. I'm not looking a gift horse in the mouth, but I don't want a repeat.

Is he walking ok now?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
They did not make mention of how he was walking when they left me the message. I will call back and ask. If he had a back issue why would his eyelids get stuck like they were and his platelets be low?

I cannot explain the platelets or the fact that they returned to normal the next day. If his platelets were analysed by a machine this may have been an anomalous result. The third eyelids could have been raised due to an acute pain response.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I spoke to the doctor directly just now and as I previously stated they are going to wait to get the results of the Addison's pre screen test, but it will take a couple more days. All he said was that my dog seems to be walking fine now and they feel that it might have been some sort of toxicity because that's usually what it is when it gets that bad and then clears up this quickly. Would you agree with that?

It could potentially be a toxic ingestion yes. It could also have been an acute muscular spasm or something of that nature. If he is perfectly fine now, it is worth waiting to see if he has any recurrence before further investigations. It can be very frustrating at times when animals get better too quickly - as no-one gets any answers, however it is good for the patient for it to happen!

Hopefully he shows no further signs, but if he does, i`m here to help.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hello again. They released him on Thursday saying all this platelets were back to normal. They said he didn't need any dietary restrictions. He ate his normal blue buffalo Thursday night at about 8:30pm. On Friday before noon he vomited it all back up. We gave him chicken and rice Saturday night and tonight (Sunday) at about 8PM he vomited just yellow foamy stuff. He's acting a bit lethargic, but about and hour after he vomited tonight he had his chicken and rice and seemed just fine. Should I take him back in to be rechecked? He also has horrendous gas that's abnormal for him.

If he is still not 100% and is now showing signs of vomiting it would be worth having him checked over again, yes. Did his Addisons results come back yet?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Addisons pre screen was negative

If Addisons is ruled out thats good. The vomiting is a new sign though, correct?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
he was not throwing up before all this happened, only after.

If he heas developed further clinical signs I would certainly get him checked again.