How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Kara Your Own Question
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 16298
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Kara is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a 12 week pitbull mix puppy she ate a 5 mg Norco all

Customer Question

I have a 12 week pitbull mix puppy she ate a 5 mg Norco all this harm her
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the puppy will be able to digest that. What is the puppy's name?
Customer: Bella she is about 14 pounds
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bella?
Customer: No
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 10 days ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 10 days ago.

I am sorry to hear that Bella ingested a Norco tablet.

These tablets usually contain 325mgs of acetaminophen and 5mgs of hydrocodone.

  1. Is that size tablet she ingested?
  2. How long ago did this occur?
  3. Do you have fresh (unexpired) 3% hydrogen peroxide?
  4. Is she taking any other medications?
  5. How is she behaving now?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
that is the size tablet that she ingested I would say probably half hour 45 minutes ago she is not taking any other medications yes I have the peroxide and right now she is sleeping
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
No please text me back
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I'm waiting for a response
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 10 days ago.

We see toxicity symptoms in dogs at a dose of acetaminophen higher then 75 mg per kilogram (2.2 pounds per kilogram) of body weight.

At 14 pounds she is 6.36 kilograms, so she would need to eat 477mgs of acetaminophen. (6.36kg X 75mg/kg = 477mg)

If she ate 325mgs, then this is less then the toxic amount for a 14 pound dog. You should not see any symptoms of toxicity in her from that.

Signs to watch for with acetaminophen toxicity would be brown or gray colored gums, difficulty breathing, edema or swelling of the face, neck, legs or feet, vomiting, yellow color to the skin and in very severe cases coma.

I would encourage her to drink plenty of water tonight and watch her closely but the dose she ate should not be toxic.

Hydrocodone is used in dogs with nonproductive coughs.

Hydrocodone is dosed at 0.1 mg to 0.25 mg per pound (0.2 mg - 0.5 mg/kg) every 6 to 12 hours in dogs. That would be 1.4mgs to 3.5mgs for a pup her size, so the dose she took was a bit higher than usual.

The most common side effects from this drug include sedation, constipation and nausea/loss of appetite.

I would expect your pup to be very sleepy tonight, and may be uncoordinated, so keep her away from stairs. But I would expect her to back to normal in about 12-24 hours with no long term effects.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 7 days ago.
Hi,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Kara