PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

My chihuahua went to the lake with us. When we got home his

Customer Question

My chihuahua went to the lake with us. When we got home his back was red. He wouldn't drink or eat and kept throwing up. A few days later he look like he was feeling better. He was pale around his mouth but now he won't eat or drink again.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 3 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) Can you share pictures of the redness? Where is it located?

2) Have there been any changes to the diet? New food? New treats? Bones? Human food? The opportunity to get into the trash? Torn up toys? Stressful changes to the environment?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
His back was red but it's gone away now. But he is actually my 17 year old daughters dog. He is about 13 years old we have had him for about 9 years. We are buying a new house and my sister and her kids live in our old house and the chihuahua has been staying with them at our old house for about 3 weeks now. Do chihuahuas get depressed. He does not like men. He was a rescue dog when we got him.

What symptoms are you seeing which suggest he may be experiencing depression?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Oh I was asking you if he could be depressed. Since he won't eat and is just laying around. I already told you about the sun burn and vomiting but the sun burn was a week ago.

How long has he been avoiding food?

Is there any vomiting?

When did the environment change for him? Was it 3 weeks ago when your sister and her children began staying at the old house?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
This is the 3rd day he won't eat , no vomiting. Yes 3 weeks ago my sister moved in.

Animals can certainly experience depression, but this may all be due to stress, as well. It will be difficult to tell what is causing his symptoms. I would certainly consider trying to remove him from the environment, at least for a short period of time, and trying to feed him with enticing foods such as canned dog food and pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. The longer he goes without food the higher the risk will be that he will eventually become hypoglycemic (low blood sugar) and may require hospitalization.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer

Checking in. How is your companion today?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
We took him to the vet yesterday, he is in kidney failure. They ran a blood test. His BUN was like 134 and his calcium is high. He still will not eat. He will drink a little and he has not thrown up today. We hate seeing him like this. He can't walk he has no strength. We just don't know if it's time to put him down or not.

I am so sorry to hear this. Did your vet discuss hospitalizing him on fluids? Did they give any injections or provide medication to use at home?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
He did put 2 tubes of fluid under his skin. He gave us some antibiotics . But with his BUN so high he didn't seem to confident. He said if nothing changed it would be less than a week.

Did they give anything for nausea? Injectably or orally?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Nothing for Nasea. He doesn't really throw up much.

Your original complaint stated that he was vomiting, so we know nausea was originally a concern. If he hasn't had any food in the last few days, he may be nauseated. It's very common for dogs with kidney concerns to experience nausea and vomiting even if they aren't ongoing now. I would ask the clinic if they can provide him with a shot of cerenia or a similar medication to see if this gives him back the desire to eat and drink. If this persists, the consideration should be made to hospitalize him on fluids.