Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My Doberman will not stop licking his front right paw, he is…

Hello,My Doberman will not stop...
Hello,My Doberman will not stop licking his front right paw, he is showing signs of discomfort when he distributes his weight on it and the flesh around the nailbed is inflamed. Is there anything I can do to remedy the issue at home or will he need to go into his vet asap?
Also, what can I do in the interum to make him more comfortable?
7/13/2017
Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? Does he have sores anywhere else on the body besides his feet?

No, just his two toes on the front right paw seem to be inflamed at the moment. The only other visible condition he does have are several fatty tumors on his body, however, his regular vet examined/biopsied and determined that they were benign. It looks like a nail bed infection, which he has had in the past ( typically goes away in a few days on its own) however, its been two days and the skin around the second to last nail/toe is starting to blacken and he is showing more discomfort than usual so I am particularly concerned.

Yes I can see that with the picture that you have attached. It looks like he has been licking at the second to last toe. It definitely looks like it is possibly infected either with a bacterial or fungal. He eventually may need to be placed on an oral antibiotic and possibly an anti-fungal as well. In the meanwhile you can try to give him plain benadryl to see if it helps with the discomfort some. Also another option to soak the feet is a anti-fungal shampoo. These shampoo usually has a product called chlorohexidene to see if it helps

What about a betadine soak? Also, do you recommend wrapping it after soaking and cleaning? I never really know whether wrapping will further facilitate fungal/bacterial growth or inhibit it. However, since Ace is in and out of the house most of the day, I find this is the most effective way to keep him from getting dirt under his nail.

Betadine soak is good to help keep it clean . But it may not help much if there is a fungal infection present. If you are able to change the wrap daily and clean the foot then you don't have to worry about wrapping the food facilitating bacterial growth.

I believe that they do sell antifungal shampoo that contain ingredients such as ketoconazole and chlorohexidene that can help both with a bacterial and fungal infection if present. But ultimately oral medication may be needed to completely clear the problem

okay, thank you very much for your help. I will search for the antifungal shampoo's in the morning and schedule a vet appointment for the weekend just in case it doesn't improve.

You are welcome. Let me know if you have any further questions or concerns

In advance, Thanks for giving a rating! Ratings are how I receive credit for helping you today and help me better serve customers in the future.

If you need further assistance for this problem before or after rating feel free to ask a follow up and I'll be
glad to help.

Thanks Dr. Alleyne

Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian
Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian