Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
27344366

My dog has had ear issues- (Black gooey discharge in both

Customer Question

My dog has had ear issues- (Black gooey discharge in both ears) for the last 8 months. we have spent a ridiculous amount of money testing his ear for different bacteria. They said he said a resistant bacteria and gave us Mometamax and we have been using for a month now. Our dogs ears seems to be getting worse! We have also changed his dry food to a more natural dry food and he only ever gets slow cooked chicken meat with it. any help would be great. It awful to see him in so much discomfort
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infections Has can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Has?
Customer: No i think that is it
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr B replied 13 days ago.

HI this is DRB and I would very happy to help you with this....your dog is still sick because this has been mishandled......simply put.....I will prepare my answer for you.....

Expert:  Dr B replied 13 days ago.

Food allergy is your dog's problem...PERIOD.....natural food will not fix this......you need a prescription hypoallergenic food Prescription diet science diet venison and potato works great! Also need long term treatment for ears with mometamax by filling canal daily everyday indefinitely until resolved. Food trial needs to have no other foods fed and no treats of any kind...also I would recommend apoquel to help relieve your dogs discomfort for awhile..... also heratworm prevention needs to be appropriate or it can ruin food trial.....iverhart max is accepatable......it does not sound like your vet knows anything about dernatology.....see a vet dermatologist if your vet cannot help you.....

Expert:  Dr B replied 13 days ago.

And I like fluconazole orally to help with ear yeast infections too! If you have any questions feel free to leave them here as I check my computer every night. I see thousands of these dogs yearly and have great success with these. Hope this helps...Sincerely, DRB

Please give me a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. A positive rating will not close this question and I am more than happy to answer any follow up questions that you have.

Please remember my answers do not replace or supersede the advice of your veterinarian as my answers do not create a valid client patient relationship as I am unable to examine your pet. Thank you very much! DrB

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Great thank you.
Are you saying NO chicken with the dry food (prescribed food in last response)?
Expert:  Dr B replied 12 days ago.

Chicken cannot be fed to dogs with food allergy.....

Expert:  Dr B replied 12 days ago.

Beef and chicken are awful for dogs with food allergy...they have to eat the prescription diet period and NOTHING ELSE or they will NEVER get well...

Expert:  Dr B replied 12 days ago.

They have to be fed elimination diet and have their secondary infections treated at the same time....

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
No worries. Thank you.
I am still worried about the mometamax- It seems to have made 1 ear that wasn't really affected now REALLY bad.What would you clean the ear out with? Baby wipes? Paper Towel?
Expert:  Dr B replied 12 days ago.

Mometamax will not cause ...that just happened coincidentally because food or underlying cause never corrected....

Expert:  Dr B replied 12 days ago.

Ears can be flushed with epiotic advanced....

Expert:  Dr B replied 12 days ago.

can I answer any other questions?

Expert:  Dr B replied 12 days ago.

Can I answer any other questions for you?

Expert:  Dr B replied 12 days ago.

I have to retire for the night but please let me know if you need additional help. Sincerely, DRB

Expert:  Dr B replied 12 days ago.

If you have further questions please let me know...if not I would appreciate a rating. Thank you very much! DRB