Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My German Shepherd ate two chicken wing bones - the side of…

Customer Question
My German Shepherd ate two...
My German Shepherd ate two chicken wing bones - the side of the bone with the two small bones. So that is 4 small bones. I was not in the room. From the next room I did not hear bones cracking. I hope there is a good chance he will pass the bones without a problem. What do you think?
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/13/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Hello again,

Hopefully your German Shepherd will get away with this, however I have worked out a fuller answer for you below ...

1. The best thing to do here is to just sit it out, monitor your dog and see what happens. In my experience most dogs will get way with this, but this is all you can now do at present as it is not recommended to make dogs sick to recover solid sharp objects like the chicken wing bones as this could cause damage to the throat on the way back up. That said if this has happened in the last hour then feeding your dog some slices of bread or some mashed potato is a good idea, you see the potato or bread may form round any sharp bone fragments at help protect your dog's alimentary tract as the fragments pass along. This may well help, also it is very much a plus point that you have a larger dog.

2. You see when you think about it wild dogs and feral dogs will be doing this sort of thing on a daily basis and this is the way they are adapted to feed as opportunistic feeders and scavengers and the same thing applies to some extent to domestic dogs. For your dog to swallow these chicken bones whole he would normally have to crunch them into smaller pieces and normally they should pass OK. Also some digestion and softening of chicken bones is possible in your dog's stomach and this will greatly help as well.

3. However there are no guarantees and occasionally in the past at my clinic I have seen problems. You would be therefor wise to monitor your dog for such signs as vomiting, lethargy, not eating, straining or abdominal pain and of course consult your vet without delay if you do see such symptoms. This would be unlikely though ...

4. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your GSD's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Thank you. I was hoping that would be your answer. Yes I will keep an eye on him.

No problem, very glad to be advising you.

Please let me know how things go ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how German shepherd is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the chicken wing bones ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian