Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
27344366

My lab tested positive for heartworm 2 weeks ago. We started

My lab Jackson tested positive for heartworm 2 weeks ago. We started treatment and he is currently on prednisone amd doxycycline. This morning he started throwing up a little pinkish-brown blood. I am trying very hard to not be freaked out as my vet is closed for the day.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: No.
JA: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Jackson
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Jackson?
Customer: He is a senior dog who had a speenectomy 2 and half years ago.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

HI this is DRB and I would be happy to help you......you did not say how many times your dog threw up......either of those two drugs could cause what you are seeing.....I don't really usually use Prednisone with Doxycycline when I tx heartworms but in your vet's defense I have not examined your dog or staged your dog......your dog may have to be put on something to help him tolerate the Doxycycline......but your vet needs to help you with that because those drugs need to be spaced carefully around everything else. I would stop the Doxycycline until you speak with your vet....

How many times as your dog thrown up today?

are you there?

did you want to speak by phone?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I am here. Once this morning before I woke up and then about half an hour ago. My step daughter was home with him all day amd said he had no issues

ok, I feel this is very likley drug related.....call your vet tomorrow before continuing either medication. How long has your dog been on Pred?

Pred and Doxy together can be very hard to tolerate.....

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
He has been on the prednisone since June 26 and is now on every other day

ok, so this may be the doxycycline causing nausea leading to vomiting. Talk with your vet about an H2 blocker but it has to be given 2 hours away from the Doxy....

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Does it just make the stomach upset? Or is there anything I can give him here at home to help him tonight until I talk to the vet in the morning? Also i have not given his nightly dose of the doxcycline should I skip it for tonight?

I think your dog will be fine overnight.... as long as there is no other vomiting.....this sound like a Doxy problem....

Yes skip Doxy tonight. Do you have any pepcid AC?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No but I can run and grab some

Ok, what does your dog weigh?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
60 pounds

ok, pick up some famotidine 20 mg and give a whole 20 mg tablet tonight and another in the am.....call your vet early and see how they want to proceed.....

Can I answer any other questions?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok thank you!

sure thing!

Please give me a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. A positive rating will not close this question and I am more than happy to answer any follow up questions that you have.

Please remember my answers do not replace or supersede the advice of your veterinarian as my answers do not create a valid client patient relationship as I am unable to examine your pet. Thank you very much! DrB

let me know if you need additional questions....DRB

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr B