Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a practicing veterinarian with over 20 years experience in a mixed animal practice.
75966804

He had what I thought was a hot spot on his head behind his

Customer Question

He had what I thought was a hot spot on his head behind his ear. It grew and got weepy. I have used peroxide to clean it a bout 3 times, and it is drier, bur now he has fluctuence down his neck under the skin in his big wrnkles. about 6 inches long . hot he seem unhappy. Hes a French Mastiff.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the Mastiff's name and age?
Customer: Odin 3 years
JA: What is the Mastiff's name?
Customer: Odin.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Odin?
Customer: No pretty average dog. We live on Kodiak Island, I run the little clinic in our village. I have access to antibiotics, but wonder what to give him. He has scratched it
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Linda replied 15 days ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Linda. I hope I can help with your question today.

I am sorry for your concerns about Odin. Is it possible that he was bitten by something? The dependent swelling or seroma, is usually a sequella to such a wound.

I would hot soak the area, applying warm compresses for 10 minutes twice a day. A common antibiotic used in most wounds is cephalexin, 15 mg/lb twice a day for at least 10-14 days. Do not try to lance or poke the swelling, as you can introduce more bacteria.

I hope this makes sense & you find the information helpful. Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Thank you.

Expert:  Dr Linda replied 13 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr Linda