Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My german shepard just started with famotidine. Is tramadol…

Hi my german shepard just...
Hi my german shepard just started with famotidine. Is tramadol safe to use at the same time?
7/11/2017
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Hi there. My name is***** Famotidine and tramadol can be used at the same time. There is no direct drug interaction that prohibits a case from being on them at the same time.
Ah thank u so much. My vet just started him on the famotidine.
But I have tramadol at home that I give him sometimes when he needs it. But forgot to ask my vet if they were ok to give at the same time.
Thank you so much! No need to be scared then :)
I'm glad that you asked as there are times when certain medications can interact. These two won't.
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about Z. How is everything going?
He is doing better and better thank you. He was put on famotidine to try cos he seem to have a fizzy tummy. And probably have had for quite awhile without us knowing. Until he started show he is in pain. He has been on the pills 4 days now and starting to act more and more normal. If the acid caused ulcers or inflammations I guess it takes a bit to heal, not sure how long.
But he seem to be slowly recovering. :)
Thank u so much for wondering

That is great that Z is doing better! At this time, with response to medications, it seems that continuing them per your vet's recommendations would be best. Typical GI ulcers / inflammation can take a week or so to heal. With how things are going, that is great.

Hi again. About z again. Is it ok to give gabalpentin or tramadol when he is on famotidine?
If u want me to start a new request again and pay I will :)

Hey there. There doesn't appear to be any drug interactions listed in the veterinary drug formulary for the use of these 3 drugs at the same time.

Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian