Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My miniature dachshund got a hold of a chicken bone. She

didn't choke on it. She...
My miniature dachshund got a hold of a chicken bone. She didn't choke on it. She seems to e breathing fine. What should I do?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Veterinarian will know what you should do. What is the dachshund's name and age?
Customer: Her name is ***** *****'s 2
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lucy?
Customer: No, she's a very healthy dog
7/11/2017
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Hello again,

Hopefully Lucy will get away with this, however I have worked out a fuller answer for you below ...

1. The best thing to do here is to just sit it out, monitor your dog and see what happens. In my experience most dogs will get way with this sort of incident, but this is all you can now do at present as it is not recommended to make dogs sick to recover solid sharp objects like the chicken bone as this could cause damage to the throat on the way back up. That said if this has happened in the last hour then feeding your dog some slices of bread or some mashed potato is a good idea, you see the potato or bread may form round any sharp bone fragments at help protect your dog's alimentary tract as the fragments pass along. This may well help ...

2. When you think about it wild dogs and feral dogs will be doing this on a daily basis and this is the way they are adapted to feed as opportunistic feeders and scavengers and the same applies to domestic dogs to some extent. For your dog to swallow this chicken bone whole she would have to crunch it into smaller pieces and normally they should pass OK. Also some digestion and softening of chicken bones is possible in your dog's stomach and this will greatly help as well.

3. However there are no guarantees and occasionally in the past at my clinic I have seen problems. You would be therefor wise to monitor your dog for such signs as vomiting, lethargy, not eating, straining or abdominal pain and of course consult your vet without delay if you do see such symptoms. This would be unlikely though ...

4. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Lucy's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Lucy is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the chicken bone incident ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
She seems to be fine. I took her for a walk jog this morning and she seemed energetic. I've been checking out her stools to see if pieces of the bone are passing. Is that the right thing to do?
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian