Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dogs behavior has changed drastically in the past 48

My dogs behavior has...

My dogs behavior has changed drastically in the past 48 hours and I have no idea what to do or how to help her . She is a almost ten year old am staff and with in the last couple of days she is like a different dog she won't leave her dog bed she hasn't bothered with in almost two years cries and heavily pants and instead of ripping her toys to shreds she is codling them like her pups :(( it's so sad to see her acting so strangely please help us

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Dog Trainer. Is there anything else the Dog Trainer should be aware of about behavior?

Don't think so

7/11/2017
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

But before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer to me, so could you please confirm the following :

1. Has she been spayed?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No

OK, just typing up your answer now ...

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. Sorry to hear your dog is uncomfortable but hopefully this is not a serious situation, however I have worked out an answer for you below ...

2. When a dog has a season it is actually a normal part of the cycle that some weeks later she will have what is called a false pregnancy. These dogs can be moody or nervous and will often carry toys around as if they are puppies. While the symptoms of a false pregnancy can vary from dog to dog it can often also include breast development and even milk production. Here is link to an accurate article which covers this topic : LINK

3. If this is the diagnosis then there is no safe treatment for this in my opinion, there are hormones which can be given but I would not use them on my own bitch, provided she otherwise normal you can safely just monitor the situation for now. The good news is that the false pregnancy will regress on its own in one to two weeks time and then she should return to normal. Of course having her spayed will stop false pregnancies happening in the future.

4. Of course if in doubt have your local vet check her over, but in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your dog's condition changes in any way or if you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you this answer has made the most sense to me so far thanks !!

No problem, very glad to be advising you.

Please let me know how things go ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Just a short note to thank you very much for the good rating, this is very much appreciated.

Kindest regards,

Dr Scott