Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a 5yr old intact female pittbull terrier with a

hello JA: Hello. What is your...
hello
JA: Hello. What is your issue regarding?
Customer: i have a 5yr old intact female pittbull terrier with a mucoid nasal discharge
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the terrier?
Customer: it responded to amoxiclav then enroflox a little now it has returned radiology showed significant opacities in the frontal sinus
JA: Where does the terrier seem to hurt?
Customer: dog was fluctuate between anorexia and good appetie no pain
JA: What is the terrier's name and age?
Customer: storm, 5yrs
JA: How old is storm?
Customer: 5yrs
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about storm?
Customer: already gave the history earlier in the chat
7/10/2017
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian

Hi I am Dr. Denney. I am currently reviewing your post now. Please give me a few minutes to type my response. Thank you for trusting us with your question.

the dog also had one or two episodes of transient weakness, possibly syncope

Has your veterinarian discussed getting Storm's nasal passages scoped to get a biopsy and culture and sensitivity ?

How is her heart ? Any murmurs? Has her blood pressure been checked?

Has Storm had any blood work recently to see how her white blood cell count is doing?

no heart murmurs, lungs intially sounded congested on auscultation, blood work was initially normal but around the time when the episodes of sycope occurred, cbc showed neutrophilia
radiology of lungs confirmed congestion, and the heart was indeed enlarged
murmurs may have been missed i guess but i still have to explanation for the nasal discharge

Chronic rhinitis in dogs can be extremely frustrating to treat and diagnose. The heart disease is probably completely separate from the chronic rhinitis.

Causes for rhinitis

Rhinitis can occur for many reasons:

• Tooth root abscess of the fourth upper premolar which causes maxillary sinusitis and subsequent rhinosinusitis.
  • Viruses: Feline herpesvirus-I and feline calici account for 90% of acute rhinitis in cats.4,6 Canine distemper.
  • fungal infections: Aspergillus, Cryptococcus, Penicillin spp., Rhinosporidium (dog), Blastomycoses (dog)6
  • parasites: Pneumonyssoides caninum (dog); Eucoleus boehmi
  • idiopathic inflammatory rhinitis (lymphocytic plasmacytic rhinitis and chronic rhinosinusitis)
  • inflammatory polyp (cats)
  • congenital abnormalities like cleft palate or primary ciliary dyskinesia
  • foreign body
  • allergic rhinits
  • intranasal neoplasia
  • bacteria e.g. Bordetella

It is an extensive list which is why it can take time to get to the diagnosis.

can klebsiella be a differential as well?

Your next steps are to consider getting an upper airway scope of her nasal passages and get a biopsy and culture and sensitivity done to look for resistant bacteria, abnormal tissue (inflammatory, allergic, auto immune, cancer)

A CT is also something to consider.

With chronic rhinitis cases after I have done a good baseline and treated for at least 2-3 weeks and still I see recurrence or it never resolves I will offer a referral to an internal medicine specialist because the next steps are to get the imaging and biopsies done.

Yes since that is a bacteria it can cause these symptoms.

no referral necessary. thanks a lot though

I have had some luck with the medication Apoquel in these cases.

Good luck with Storm.

If this was helpful and guided you on what to do I would be most appreciative if you could take the time to rate my assistance so the site will credit me with helping you.

Without a rating (the stars at the top) the site will not compensate me for helping you.

I am also here for additional questions you may have just reach out to me here and I will be more than happy to assist you.

Kind regards,

Dr. Meghan Denney

Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian