Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a 1 year old, fully vaccinated lab/Rottweiler mix,

Axle, that we adopted from...
I have a 1 year old, fully vaccinated lab/Rottweiler mix, Axle, that we adopted from a shelter. He started whining in his sleep last night and wouldn't eat his food this morning. He had a whitish discharge coming out of both eyes. He started acting strange a couple hours ago and started growling at our other dog (I assume because he doesn't feel well). He started vomiting and has diarrhea and is salivating a lot. He doesn't want to move and it is obvious he is miserable. I'm just wondering if he needs to get into the vet immediately or if he could just have a stomach bug that will pass.
7/10/2017
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Axle. How long ago did you adopt him?

I am pretty worried by your description of him, but this could be a "stomach bug". If you lift his lip to look at his gums, are they pink in color or do they seem pale? If his gums look pale, he should see a veterinarian right away.

Can you take his temperature with a rectal thermometer? He might not let you if he is growling at the other dog. If you can, and is temp is higher than 103 he should see a veterinarian today.

Is he eating and drinking at all? If he can hold liquids down, that is a good sign. If he is not drinking, or if he vomits up whatever he drinks, he will become dehydrated. If he can't or won't drink and hold water or ice chips down, he should see a veterinarian today.

I would be interested to know how long ago you adopted him. If it was recent, this might be canine distemper even though he was vaccinated (he might have been exposed before they got to vaccinate him). If you have had him awhile, distemper is less likely.

Please let me know if this helps, and what other questions I can answer.

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
He was adopted about 10 months ago, so I agree that it probably is not distemper. His gums and tongue look a little pale but they are still pink. He doesn't want to eat or drink anything. He won't let me take his temperature and he just wants to sleep. So I have left him alone in his favorite chair.

That is good news, because distemper is bad news. If his gums look at at pale compared to normal, that is a red flag to me. I would have him checked out today if you can.

Thanks for the great rating!

Ok thank you! I will call our vet to get him in

You are welcome. Please let me know what you find out.

Wanted to give you an update...............They did an abdominal x-ray and blood work and put him on IV fluids since he couldn't even hold down water. The X-ray didn't show any blockage so they kept him for the day to give him fluids, anti-nausea and anti-diarrhea medicine. He developed a cough while he was there and I told them my other dog had been coughing for about 5 days but I didn't think anything of it because he had no other symptoms. They put him on an antibiotic now too. I guess we are waiting to see if blood work results show anything, but my other dog that was coughing started throwing up yesterday late afternoon, so I am guessing they have the same thing. They are supposed to call me today and I am going to tell them my other dog is sick because I am beginning to believe they caught something from that vet office as they were boarded there for 9 days while we were on vacation and I picked them up last week. He is able to hold down water today though, so that's an improvement. I'm hoping he will try to eat later today.

Thank you for the update; I am sorry both dogs are so sick. It is a good sign he can keep water down; hope he is eating soon.

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian