Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 18 years.
53976849

He's pooping out blood that kind a looks like jelly and he

Customer Question

He's pooping out blood that kind a looks like jelly and he is also vomiting
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: He's a miniature pincher Chihuahua mix probably weighs about 6 pounds he's probably lost 2 pounds he tried eating last night and I woke up this morning and there was puke all over the place all white and red jelly looking stuff all over the place which is what he's been pooping for the last two days I'm getting really scared he seems really weak and he's my baby
JA: OK. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your Chihuahua eat anything unusual?
Customer: No but on the Fourth of July I did give him a baby aspirin which I read on the side that was OK to give him
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your Chihuahua?
Customer: No but on the Fourth of July I did give him a baby aspirin which I read on the side that was OK to give him no I'm just not rich so I can't afford to take him but it's gotten to the point where I'm going to have to taking
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 2 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! Please give me a few moments to type my response to your question!

I am so sorry your dog has some gi upset today. Yes it is possibly related to the aspirin or even the stress of the fireworks. I can give you some basic guidelines for today but if there is no improvement then please consider a veterinary er since these signs are signs of colitis (inflammation of the colon) and can be life threatening in a dog his size because it can lead to more concerning illness and we definitely do not want this to progress. Below is more information on hemorrhagic gastroenteritis or HGE

http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/stomach-intestine-liver-or-pancreas/hemorrhagic-gastroenteritis-hge

- Begin Pepcid 0.25 mg/ pound (famotidine) every 12 hours for 3 days to help settle the stomach

- Wait 12 hours to feed to allow the gi contractions to subside that are causing the bloody stools

- Mix white rice with boiled lean meat such as chicken which is high in fiber but also bland to the intestinal tract and enticing to the appetite as well in small more frequent meals. No regular dog food please. You can add water to ensure that there is no dehydration but you also want to do water in moderation because large amounts of water will increase risk of vomiting

- If you are able, getting up and walk. Walks are great in reducing gi spasms, nausea, and entice the appetite but if not up for it that is also alright

Indications of cause for concern:

- Gums are pale, yellow, brick red and sticky indicating dehydration

- Vomiting or diarrhea with blood in it that is progressing or not resolving in the next 2-4 hours

- Increased lethargy or difficulty getting comfortable

- Swollen abdomen

- Respiratory rate > 60 while at rest

- Temperature rectally <99 or >103.5

- No interest in food for 24+ hours

- No urination for 12+ hours

- Trembling without resolution for more than an hour

- Productive coughing

- Taking a "play bow" or what looks like a downward dog position which is abdominal distress

I hope this information is helpful. Please let me know how else I can assist you both today and I truly hope your dog is feeling better soon. I understand finances are tight, please investigate carecredit.com if you do need to consider the er because again this can be life threatening in a dog his size.

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today, I am online another hour this evening if you have additional questions

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!