Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Sophie is about 10 years old. Yesterday she threw up a dark

brownish liquid. She did this...
Sophie is about 10 years old. Yesterday she threw up a dark brownish liquid. She did this 3 times. She drinks a lot of water and is lethargic. What can I do for her?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: She is overweight. she is a miniature schnauzer.
7/9/2017
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Was it brown like food or coffee grounds?

Can she keep water down?

Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could she have eaten something harmful (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Any diarrhea or black stools?

to the coffee grounds, yes she can keep water down. her gums are pink and a little sticky.No to eating anything abnormal. No to diarrhea.

Hello again,

Good to see her gums are pink but if it does look like coffee grounds, any black stool as well?

I dont know about the black stools. i have not seen her go to the bathroom outside. we have a large fenced in back yard.
She seems restless. Like she cant get comfortable.

Thank you,

Now I have to say that I am quite concerned about your lass and it is worth a peek in the yard.

The reason is because coffee ground like vomit usually is a sign of a bleed in the upper region of the gastrointestinal tract (ie stomach or upper GI). In regards ***** ***** for upper GI bleeds, the most common causes are stomach ulcers, stomach damage due to foreign body ingestion, adverse reaction to anti-inflammatory drugs (pet or human ones), and stomach or intestinal tumors. And it is worth noting that all of these issues would cause vomiting, nausea, anorexia, lethargy, belly discomfort (which is likely why she is restless and cannot settle), and sometimes black feces.

With all this in mind, we do need to be proactive and aggressive in helping her (especially since we cannot see into her bleeding stomach to tell us if there is an ulcer about to perforate her stomach). Therefore, if possible, it would be ideal to get her to the vet. They can help diagnose what is triggering her signs and get her onto some oral gastroprotectants (ie sucralfate) to coat any open stomach lesions, GI safe pain relief (ie bupenorphine, etc), and anti-nausea medication to keep her eating again (since an empty stomach means there is nothing for the stomach acid to digest but the stomach itself).

If you cannot get her to the vet immediately, then I would say to at least consider treating her with an antacid to lower the stomach acid pH. These are available over the counter and pet friendly. I would advise only treating with one, but the two I tend to recommend are Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)You will want to give these 20 minutes before offering food and under the circumstances you will want to treat every 8-12 hours.

Overall, I am quite concerned about these signs. They are tell us that we have an upper GI bleed that could be a sign of a stomach ulcer or possibly something worse (like a tumor). Therefore, it would be ideal to get her checked right away. If there is any delay in doing so, then do treat her with an antacid and keep a close eye on for any emergency signs (ie belly pain or paling of her gums).

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Thank you!!! You have been a great help.

You are very welcome, my dear.

Best wishes for you both,

Dr. B.

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian