Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My lab gave birth almost 24 hours ago. I just noticed an…

My lab gave birth almost...
My lab gave birth almost 24 hours ago. I just noticed an string hanging out of her. She is acting fine but I'm worried there is a placenta left inside...
7/9/2017
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Have you seen a number of placentas passed to match the number of her pups?

Or did you think one was missing?

What does the string look like? Can you take a photo of this to let me see what you are seeing? To post a photo, you can use the paper clip button on the tool bar above the text box. Or if you cannot see that on your phone/computer, then you can post them on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web link here for me to have a peek.

I just went to take a picture and I can't find what was hanging out but I'm sure it was there and it was attached to her. She has been cleaning herself a lot so it's very possible she pulled it off. We watched her have 8 puppies and then went to bed, thinking she was done. The next day my husband and I decided to move them from the garage to inside our house because it was extremely hot in the garage and Chaos seemed to hate being away from us. As we were moving them we realized she had 9, so the last placenta we are not sure about.
The string looked like a dried umbilical cord hanging out, about 3 inches long.

Hello again,

No worries, if it was dried tissue (which can be left over umbilicus, placenta, or even a bit of sloughed uterine lining) since that would have been divitalized and unlikely to bleed. So, it was fine for her to remove. And often they will chew/pull these when cleaning themselves. So, while we need to monitor her for fever or pus like discharge from the vagina since we aren't sure about the last placenta; but we'd not be overly worried if she likely delivered without bother. So, do keep an overall eye on Chaos but it sounds like we don't have serious worries here and would just want to monitor and of course keep her cool in this summer heat.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

You are very welcome, my dear.

What a bunch of little cuties and Chaos looks so happy too. :)

And the discharge is fine if its not severe as we do usually see that for a few weeks post delivery (just as in human mothers).

All the best,

Dr. B.

Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian