Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog just gave birth to 5 puppies last 2 sacks broke off…

My dog just gave birth...
My dog just gave birth to 5 puppies last 2 sacks broke off before puppies were all the way out good or bad?
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/2/2017
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about the puppies. It may not be a problem if the sacks broke open before the puppies were born. How are the puppies; are they alive and nursing?

If the sacks are still inside her, they will probably pass. Sometimes she eats the sacks as they are passing and you don't even know it. If she and the puppies are all doing well, and she starts eating once birthing is done, she should be OK.

If she won't eat, or has a fever, she should be checked out by your veterinarian.

Please let me know if this is helpful and what other questions you have.

Puppies are all good . I watched the sacks break and stay inside . How long for them to pass ?

They should pass in a few hours, but often you miss it; it can just look like she is licking her vulva.

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Ok thank you for your time . Will keep a eye on her

Thanks for the great rating.

Hi Johnathon,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Johnathon Bryant. How is everything going?

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian