Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog was diagnosed with kennel cough about 5 weeks ago she

had a course of antibiotics...
My dog was diagnosed with kennel cough about 5 weeks ago she had a course of antibiotics she seemed so much better
But 4 days ago she started to be unwell again same symptoms is it the kennel cough again ?
If so is this normal
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/2/2017
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- How old is your dog?

2- Any pre existing medical conditions?

3- How long was she on antibiotics?

4- How long since she has been off the antibiotics?

5- How much does she weigh?

2 years old
No pre exciting medical problems
5 days off antibiotics
Been off them around 3 weeks
Weighs 8kg

Friend, it is possible that a respiratory can flare back up if it was not completely cleared. Or, he could have picked up a different bug than what caused the first episode of kennel cough. Or, he could have a completely different disorder like an underlying heart disease, etc. I would have him re-checked by your family vet to auscultate his heart and lungs. In addition, he may need antibiotics again. In the meantime, you can start him on Robitussin DM (cough) 1/2 teaspoon every 6-8 hours. You can buy Robitussin DM (Cough) over the counter in any pharmacy (chemist); do not buy sugar-free.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Will take her to vets tomorrow
Any suggestion to boost her immune system to fight it quicker ?
Many thanks

Supplement with a probiotic for her intestinal tract. These are friendly bacteria that help with the immune system as most of the immune cells are within the intestinal tract. You can buy a probiotic over the counter in any pet store.

You're welcome. :)

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Thank you
For your help
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian