Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dogs paws are extremely red and raw. Like in between the…

Customer Question
My dogs paws are...

My dogs paws are extremely red and raw. Like in between the pads. She continuously licks and bites them. What do it do?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. How old is paws?

Her name is ***** ***** she is 2.5 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Winnie?

She has been on a probiotic for about 2 months now and she eats nutro dry food.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/2/2017
Dog Veterinarian: jadedangel57, owner replied 11 months ago
jadedangel57

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

It is necessary for me to get a little information from you before I can type up your reply. Your patience is appreciated.

How long has winnie had this problem with her paws?

Before this happened did you change her food or any cleaning supplies?

Does she have any hair loss?

has she had any behavioral changes such as aggression?

Does she seem to shed more than she used to?

Thanks for that information. It is helpful. I'm typing your reply now.

It may be that your dog is having an allergic reaction. An allergic reaction is often the cause when a dog is excessively licking and/or chewing their paws. While you switched her to a better quality food, it might contain an ingredient she is allergic to. It’s possible your dog has developed a secondary staph or yeast problem. They are commonly seen when a dog has an allergy. If yeast you can try some miconazole cream to see if it helps but it isn’t a cure for underlying allergy condition. It won't hurt your dog to try it.

You can try baby socks to prevent your dog from licking them. You can also give your dog some Benadryl. The dosage is up to 2 mg per pound every 8-12 hours. Start with 1 mg per pound first and see if it doesn’t help the situation and provide your dog with some relief.

Here is a site on dog allergies

http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/pet-health-information/article/animal-health/allergy-general-in-dogs/428

http://www.lbah.com/word/canine/skin-allergies/

Now boxers are prone to hypothyroidism which can also be a cause of paw licking and chewing. Often a dog will have excessive shedding as hair tends to break off especially when being brushed or petted. Read about hypothyroidism here:

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+2097&aid=449

You might compare the ingredients in her old food and the new food as it may give you a clue as to what she might be allergic if she didn't have the problem when you first got her. It might also be a floor or carpet cleaning supply but I would start with the food since that was changed. You could even switch her back to her old food for a few months. It can take 6 weeks or longer for all symptoms to disappear and you would likely need to treat the paws with miconazole cream as well since it is likely a yeast issue is present if it is an allergic reaction to a substance. If that and benadryl do not seem to have any effect on her paw licking, then you should consider having a thyroid panel run to check for a thyroid issue.

I hope I've given you great service. If so, I'd appreciate a 5 star rating. The rating should be based on my answer and not any site issue. Experts are not compensated until a rating is done. If you have any other questions at all, please reply here and I'll be happy to follow up with you even after you have rated. .

The vet had said she didn't have a yeast infection and I have tried Benadryl. It doesn't touch her. If I do the cream will it hurt her if she licks it off?

The cream won't hurt her. When a dog licks the paws, they become moist which creates the perfect environment for yeast to multiply. Yeast is itchy as well so it perpetuates the cycle of licking and chewing. So your dog might not have had a yeast dermatitis when the vet checked but may have one now. Since the cream won't hurt her in the amounts you will be using, it is worth trying.

If benadryl at the high end of the dose range doesn't help then it may very well be a thyroid condition especially since she has excessive shedding as well.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer
Dog Veterinarian: jadedangel57, owner replied 10 months ago

Just checking in to see whether my suggestions have helped Winnie? The system sent that other followup message.