Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Our normally happy-go-slappy miniature dachshund just

started exhibiting some odd behavior...
Our normally happy-go-slappy miniature dachshund just started exhibiting some odd behavior. He's acting depressed, tail between legs, will cry or whimper for no apparent reason, yelp when we go to pick him up (typically before we actually touch him), not interested in running after his beloved ball anymore, shaking.... He's always been extremely loved and well cared for and never acted submissive, mopey, or fearful before. He'll still eat, drink, accept treats, and play outside but when inside will immediately go to his crate instead of staying by our side like normal. It started happening just after a fairly bad storm and while I was away on a long weekend (my husband who he adores was home with him) at first we just attributed it to the storm or him missing me but this bizarre behavior has just continued and possibly intensified. We're not sure what to do and can't necessarily afford an expensive vet visit when he's not really acting like he's in pain.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the dachshund's name and age?
Customer: Charlie and almost 4 - he's got his sister from the same litter that will curl up with him and she's acting normal but he's acting almost lethargic but will still wag his tail and play with her when outside
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Charlie?
Customer: I don't know... He's just normally so happy and never seems to get down and it's really startling to see him like this
6/27/2017
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. I do wonder if what you are seeing is due to back pain of some kind, this is something I have frequently seen in Dachshunds over the years. The fact is your breed with it's elongated stretched back is very prone to intervertebral disk problems { slipped disk }, if this is the diagnosis then in Charlie's case it is still only partial and minor but if it progresses to a full blown slipped disk then this can be very serious indeed.

2. Given the potential gravity of the situation my advice has to be to have alocal vet check charlie over ASAP, your vet will confirm the diagnosis and if appropriate prescribe muscle relaxnats and / or anti-inflammatory drugs, this plus complete rest can often settle down minor back problems, but be aware that a small minority of dogs may need further diagnosis such as x-ray and some dogs may require surgery.

3. In the meantime until you can get to a vet keep your dog as still and rested as possible. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Charlie's condition changes in any way or if you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Yeah... �� I did a bit of research before reaching out and this was my fear... He's staying still on his own unless we take him outside which is odd enough by itself. I'll have to move around my day tomorrow but I'll do what I have to do to get him in to the vet. I'll let you know what we find out.

Getting him to the vet is your best course of action ...

Please let me know how things go.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Charlie is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning his suspect back problem...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Thank you so much for your help last night - we took him to the vet this afternoon and it wasn't anything serious but it was back pain as you suspected due to strained/pulled muscles. The vet gave him an xray to be sure and then prescribed some pain pills and anti-inflammatories and gave orders to keep him still and not let him go up/down steps or jump off anything for at least the next few days - he's been on the pills for a few hours and has already stopped crying and is back to wagging his tail and licking our hands/face. It's so nice to have him back to (almost) normal!

That sounds very encouraging indeed ...

Thanks for the update and thank you very much for the good rating, this is very much appreciated.

Please let me know how things go ...

Kindest regards,

Dr Scott

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian