Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My friend and I ate a pretty fair amount of chicken wings

Hi there. My friend and...
Hi there. My friend and I ate a pretty fair amount of chicken wings last night. We forgot to put the trash up and they got into it and ate every single one of the bones!!!
Max is a 7 yr schnauzer who weighs 19, Buster is a 6 yr old Chihuahua who weighs 8.Max has had a couple of serious problems with pancreatitis. He very nearly died 5 years ago, but I was able to nurse him back to health. He had another minor bout just a few months ago when he found his way into a small amount of ice cream.I am very nervous about this. What should I do?
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/25/2017
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- Are they showing any symptoms?

No, not yet. This happened in between the hours of 11 this morning and 3 this afternoon

As you may already know the concern with ingestion of bones is an obstruction or perforation of the intestinal tract. But, more often than not dogs are able to digest the bones without any problem. Inducing vomiting is not indicated as the bones can damage the esophagus on the way out. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol.

2- Do not induce vomiting.

3- Change their diet for the next 2-3 days to rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%). The idea is for the rice to help move the bones out in the feces if undigested while protecting the intestinal tract.

4- If during the next few days you see the following symptoms: lethargy, anorexia, vomiting, constipated or diarrhea, etc. follow up immediately with a veterinarian. These are all signs of a possible obstruction or perforation of the intestinal tract. In the meantime, observe them and change their diet as above then wean them back into their regular diet.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Ok, I've done this before. I can do it again ��. Thank you very much!
I will rate you before I leave.

You're welcome. :)

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian