Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 6 week old yorkie poo and he was on the sofa

I have a 6...

I have a 6 week old yorkie poo and he was on the sofa yesterday and an older dog accidentally knocked him off the sofa, now he won't walk on his one hind leg, he will walk on it for a little bit then he holds it up while walking.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

I do not see a wound he will let me touch it and doesn't cry or anything while I'm touching it

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Jace

6/24/2017
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Jace. I am sorry he is limping on that back leg. Is he eating and drinking?

Is there any obvious swelling of that leg?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
He is eating and drinking and I do not see any swelling

If there is no obvious swelling, and he does put it down some of the time, it is probably not broken. However, he could have an injury to a joint, tendon, or ligament.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is there anything I can do to help him or do I need to get him into the vet

He might benefit from pain and/or anti inflammatory medication such as meloxicam or carprofen.

You can try baby aspirin, but how much does he weigh?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
He weighs about 2 pounds

Pretty small. He could take 10 mg of aspirin; this would be 1/8th of a baby aspirin, once to twice daily. There is no other over the counter medication safe in dogs.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok thank you I will try that first of that doesn't help I'll call my vet to have him seen

That sounds like a good idea. You are welcome. Please let me know how he is doing.

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Thank you for asking about Jace, I gave him baby aspirin for a few days (he only ended up taking 1/2 of one pill since I had to cut them so small) he is now using his leg like normal. I've still been making sure he isn't getting handled rough and don't let him go up the steps or anything but he is better. Thank you for the advice

You are welcome; thanks for the update.