Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 38lb cocker spaniel just swallowed a cooked chicken thigh…

Hello. My 38lb...

Hello. My 38lb cocker spaniel just swallowed a cooked chicken thigh whole, including the bone. what should I do?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Buster & he is 10.5 yrs old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Buster?

He seems to be ok. no vomiting, no panting,, but it's only been an hour

6/23/2017
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! Please give me a few moments to type my response and I will be right back!

With size this is a potential foreign body obstruction but luckily bird bones are hollow and highly digestible. But because he swallowed it whole and didn't chew it so there are sharp edges I would advise inducing vomiting. If your dog ingested this within the last few hours then you can induce vomiting with 3% hydrogen peroxide 1 tsp per ten pounds (1 tbsp & 1 tsp) then walk around to mix it in the stomach and agitate the lining. If no vomiting within 10-15 minutes it can be repeated once only in hopes of inducing vomiting.

If there is no vomiting then there are a few precautions we can take to hopefully minimize the risk of obstruction but at the first signs of vomiting without production of the ball please have a veterinarian evaluate your dog.

- Feed 2-3 pieces of bread now

- Take a nice walk to help move the bone through. Not running around but a leash walk which helps encourage emptying of the stomach and digestion of at least 15+ minutes

- In about 2 hours repeat the bread which is used to help bulk up the foreign body to hopefully push them through

- Monitor for signs of the material coming out the other end in the next 24-48 hours

- Again tomorrow a few nice long leash walks to help encourage gi motility and pushing the foreign material through the intestinal tract

This is the difficult part, the watching and waiting because all we can do is see if it passes on its own if there is no initial vomiting with the peroxide.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok, thank you. Other sources said to not induce vomiting. I know cocker spaniels have narrow throats, so vomiting could cause an obstruction in his throat

Typically with bones I would say not to, especially since chicken bones are so digestible but this was the entire bone without shards so I would consider it in this situation. But you can definitely chose to take the alternative route and do the bread and walks and monitor closely for vomiting. Both are acceptable options in this scenario

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok thank you for your help. Buster and I appreciate it so much!

You are very welcome :)

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian