Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 4 month old puppy has a lump on the muscle of one of her…

My 4 month old puppy...
My 4 month old puppy has a lump on the muscle of one of her shoulders. There is not one on the other side. It's not like a ball that you can pinch but almost feels like a knot or a buldge. Any ideas?
6/22/2017
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! Please give me a few moments to type my response and I will be right back!

My primary rule out would be that this is a common location for a distemper vaccination and she is having a localized reaction to a recent vaccination

I would advise doing warm compresses and measuring the lump and if it grows or becomes an irritant a recheck examination with your veterinarian to aspirate or poke the lump to ensure this is what this is.

Secondary differential would be a seroma or a fluid pocket similar to a bruise in people from her being a puppy and potentially injuring herself. If this is the case your veterinarian would again aspirate the pocket and get fluid out and treatment is a tincture of time as it is for a vaccination reaction

But if it is not resolving please have your vet evaluate her to ensure this is all this is and no need for concern

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today, I am online another 15 minutes

Unfortunately even if vaccinated for kennel cough, there are many strains and exposure or even the modified live vaccination itself can still result in kennel cough in puppies and adult dogs. Similar to having a flu vaccination but still getting the flu virus in a more mild form. The cough is comparable to something being caught in the throat or a cat with a hairball.

There are some home remedies that can help reduce the cough and give relief

1.) The steam of the shower when the cough is severe or constant

2.) A little honey three times daily can help soothe the lungs

3.) If you have a humidifier or nebulizer that would also be wonderful to use in this situation

Unfortunately I prefer to avoid cough suppressants because when suppressing a cough if there is phlegm or buildup and lead to bronchitis or even pneumonia if the material is not coughed up so this is not something I tend to administer.

I hope this information makes sense! Since the cough is productive I would advise a veterinary exam to ensure antibiotics are not warranted. In addition if there is development of lethargy or a reduced appetite then it would be best to have a veterinary exam.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both!

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Wow thanks, ***** *****'t think of that. She just got her shots in that spot a few days ago. Great job, thank you!

You are very welcome, glad the information was helpful :)

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian