Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I work so much I accidentally gave my dog 3 does of nexgard

in the same month. It...
I work so much I accidentally gave my dog 3 does of nexgard in the same month. It didn't seem to be working so I thought I didn't give it to her.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with your dog?
Customer: She seems to be fine now. Just seemed like the fleas were still biting and I thought I gave her the last dose last month
JA: Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Cookie and she's 6
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Cookie?
Customer: No she has allergies. Terrier mix at 13lbs
6/21/2017
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Thankfully, there been no harm done. In a margin of safety study, Nexgard was administered orally to 8- to 9-week old Beagle puppies at up to 5X the maximum exposure dose for three treatments every 28 days, followed by three treatments every 14 days, for a total of 6 treatments. There were no clinical relevant effects related to treatment on physical examination, body weight, food consumption, clinical pathology, gross pathology, or organ weight. Vomiting, however, did occur throughout the study and so Cookie, too, may vomit after her "dietary indiscretion" but should remain safe as this product has a very wide safety margin. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Thank you so much. Poor baby

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

I didn't know I could ask you another question. What do you think about that flea med that last for 3 months

You're referring to Bravecto. It, too, contains one of the new isoxazole ectoparasiticides (fluralaner as opposed to the afoxolaner in Nexgard). I think it's remarkable how it can be so effective over a period of 3 months. I wouldn't hesitate to treat Cookie with it. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Ok is that by doctors order only? I know my sister gets it from the spca. I think after this month I will get that for her. Its allergy season and I'm fighting that now. I'm also worried about the times I work and she's home a lot until my sister comes home. So I'm worried about going on vacation and putting her in a place that I can afford until I come back. I think she has anxiety separation. I got her a thunder shirt to help. Not sure yet what I think about it. She likes to eat stuff when I'm not here. Just anything. She looks high and low. I worry about her. No one in the family ties care if her the way I do.

Yes, it needs to be prescribed by an attending vet. Allergic dermatitis and separation anxiety involve quite thorough discussions which I'm not allowed to do in this venue. You can, however, open up an new request in the dog training category in order to discuss separation anxiety and a new request in the Dog Veterinary category in order to discuss an allergic dermatitis.

Np thank you will do so soon. I'm don't want to mess up my budget. Have a blessed day. Love Cookie lol

I understand. Give Cookie a kiss for me.

Will do

Thank you!

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian