Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I found blood in my dogs urine this morning she also has

hello I found blood in...
hello I found blood in my dogs urine this morning she also has diarrhea, I gave her new treats yesterday, could that be it?
6/21/2017
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! Please give me a few moments to type my response and I will be right back!

I am so sorry that Sadie has blood in her urine and diarrhea. It is very unlikely the blood is related to the treats but the diarrhea could be. Urinary tract infections are quite common in young female dogs and this is my highest differential for these symptoms. With bladder discomfort diarrhea can follow because of stress

There are a handful of causes of urination that has blood in it:

1.) A urinary tract infection
2.) Bladder stones that traumatize the bladder and cause bleeding
3.) A bladder tumor, most likely in a senior pet
4.) Trauma- hit by car, muscle trauma of some kind

Ideally until you are able to get to your veterinarian, please increase water intake. You can do this by supplementing the dry food with water and flavoring the water (maple syrup for example) as well. Increasing the water intake will help "flush" out the bladder and reduce the pain associated with the bleeding.

Collecting a first morning sample in a tupperware container and refrigerating the sample if more than an hour old to have your vet evaluate the sample will help determine the cause of the blood in the urine.

Your vet will run a urinalysis, potentially do a urine culture to look for bacteria, an X-ray to rule out a bladder stone, and bloodwork to ensure there is not a metabolic cause or kidney issues causing the symptoms

Diagnosing the issue will help determine how best to treat the blood in the urine to get your pet comfortable swiftly

Below is more information on this condition in dogs, called hematuria (blood in urine):

http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/symptoms/hematuria-blood-in-urine-in-dogs

Please let me know if you have any additional questions I can assist with!

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome (I am not compensated in any other way). Thanks!

I am glad you were able to view my responses. Please let me know how else I can assist you and Sadie today

I am online another hour today if I can be of any further assistance to you both. I hope your puppy is back to normal swiftly!

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Thank you so much for your time, i made an appointment for her on friday so hopefully everything is good, again thanks alot
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian