Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog is currently on the following medications for brain…

My dog is currently...

My dog is currently on the following medications for brain inflammation/potential tumor and related nausea: prednisone, cerenia, omeprazole, and misoprostol Can he also have metronidzole for diarrhea?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?

Just wondering if he can take metronidazole for diarrhea as well.

6/21/2017
Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian

HI this is DRB and I would be happy to help you......yes, there is no reason why he cannot take metronidazole for diarrhea....but I will double check to be sure.....

His diarrhea is thin and bloody. Is metronidazole likely to help with that? And, he is about 50-55 pounds. The dosage is 250 mg, twice each day. Does that sound right?

All is good.....do you need a dose for the metronidazole?

I have the medication, I just want to be sure that the dosage amount matches his size.

or length of tx? What does your dog weigh?

And what is the metronidazole dose?

He weighs about 50-55 lbs. The metronidzaole I have is 250 mg, to be taken twice daily. It was filled February 2015 and has an expiration date of April 2016. Will it still work?

of course I cannot recommend any specific tx for your dog because I have not examined him. What I can tell you is that 250 mg metronidazole twice daily is fine for a dog of his size. And all drugs have expirations and most drugs are actually good for a couple of years beyond their expiration.

Can I answer any other questions?

No. That was helpful. Thank you so much.

You are very welcome...Let me know if you need additional help. Sincerely, DRB

Please hit rate my service as that is the only way I am compensated. A positive rating will not close this question and I am more than happy to answer any follow up questions that you have.

Please remember my answers do not replace or supersede the advice of your veterinarian as my answers do not create a valid client patient relationship as I am unable to examine your pet. Thank you very much!

Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian
Dr B
Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian