Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

We've been going through basic training with Miles and he's…

.We've been going through basic...

.We've been going through basic training with Miles Davis and he's done pretty well - we haven't worked on "Come" or "Wait" much yet - stay is pretty good - sit he's 100%. Last night, the gate was left open when we took out trash cans and I let him outside without knowing - he rarely is even let outdoors alone but I needed to eat dinner haha! I went out in less than 5 minutes and he was gone! I was almost instantly hysterical! Went out front, clapped my hands, calling his name. I went into the house to get car keys and got out to the car and here he came running...... I was so grateful he came right home. We have coyotes and big dogs all around us -- now, how can I work with him so he doesn't take off through any open door or gate --- thank you!

Answered in 1 hour by:
6/20/2017
jadedangel57

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today. I am working on your reply now.

This is a difficult situation. It can take a lot of work to teach a dog not to exit unless given a command. Part of this training is having a dog learn that a sit or down means stay there until a release command is given. That gets the dog used to staying in one place. The next step will be having the dog in a stay and opening the door but not allowing the dog to go out of the door. When the dog stays in the position he was told to, reward him with a tasty treat such as a hot dog sliver. Dogs seem to love them and eagerly obey to get that tiny morsel of hot dog. You will practice this over and over at first giving the treat when he stays and continuing to give while he stays and the door is open Over time you will not give the treat immediately but after a few second. Then you gradually will extend the period of time he has to stay there to get the treat. Eventually you will not give the treat until the door is closed and he stayed. Often it helps to initially have a tether close to the door that you can clip your dog's leash to so he isn't successful if he does bolt. Or you can slip the leash under your foot and use your weight to secure him.

You can use the same technique for the gate as well which will go easier since he will have the general idea of what you are trying to teach him. Now before you can train him, you have the option of using an indoor wireless fence system and for outside, an underground fence system. Rather than two I'd be inclined to only use the one for the gate. It will actually run around your whole perimeter and keep your dog about 3 feet from the fence line and the gate even if it is open. These are relatively inexpensive if purchased second hand. Most dogs learn quickly that they will receive a small shock if they get too close to the fence line and after a very short while no longer approach it even if the collar or fence is not powered on. You can see one here:

https://www.chewy.com/s?query=Fence+Systems&rh=brand_facet%3APetSafe&gclid=CjwKEAjwj6PKBRCAy9-07PeTtGgSJAC1P9xGzc_3xKG9cJ4TOC2ctho-Om8svtsKYmlj64y9aAT8HxoCNBbw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

You can use this in conjunction with the other training to prevent escapes even through open gates. In addition to shock models they also have citronella spray models.

https://www.storesonline.com/site/494311/product/403

I hope I've given you great service. If so, I'd appreciate a 5 star rating. The rating should be based on my answer and not any site issue. If you expected something different from the site, please don't rate my answer lower as a result. If you have any other questions at all, please reply here and I'll be happy to follow up with you.

jadedangel57