Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog licked some tea tree oil off my hand....I wasn't

My dog licked some...

My dog licked some tea tree oil off my hand....I wasn't expecting her to do that, but the way she kept licking her lips after licking my arm once told me that there was enough on my arm to make her smack her lips.... I'm also concerned because I think I may have spilled a little on the floor but I wasn't totally paying attention and it style so I didn't worry about it but now I'm wondering if it could have hurt her if she licked the few drops up

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Veterinarian's require payment for their services. It's way less expensive on JustAnswer than face-to-face would cost.

What's way less?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?

Part golden retriever, part lab...60 pounds , 9 years old in July...

6/20/2017
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Now in this situation, we do want to take some steps for your lass. Pure tea tree oil in small doses can be irritating to the mouth/stomach and cause GI upset. In large doses (not the case here), it can also harm the liver. With this all in mind, if she just had this, then we'd want to rinse her mouth with cool water. That way we can remove that irritating residue. Afterwards, we'd want to keep an eye over today and try to offset any GI by offering a light diet option like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled. Further to this, if we see any hints of nausea, then we can also treat with an OTC antacid [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)]. These are usually given 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption and can be given every 12 hours. Of course, double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any know health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. But again with a small dose, we'd only expect mild signs for her and can use the above to offset those.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Just reposting in case are struggling to see my reply:

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

Thank you! What do you consider to be large amounts of tea tree oil? I know I spilled some on the tile floor yesterday but I was kind of rushing or something and not paying attention... so I only have a vague memory of where I even did it & I don't see it anywhere but if it was a few drops on the floor and she licked that up too.... I guess I just need to know how much is too much. Also wondering about inhaling it because I bought a pharmaceutical brand recently and it is really strong smelling. Almost smells like gasoline or something
No I can't afford a vet if I can help it and right now I'm already paying $19. With an additional 28 I might as well just go to my vet
Thank you though

Hello again,

Pleas disregard the auto-call offer from the site (its not from me).

For a dog her size, as long as she hasn't had more then a half dozen tablespoons we'd not be worried. A few drops would only cause those mild signs if anything at all. So, if you only had a few drops here and there that isn't a worry. And inhaling it isn't a worry unless she had coughing and breathing distress with it (but that is more a worry with birds then dogs).

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Thank you sooo much!!! She already eats chicken pretty much every day period with broccoli or beans I've been giving her some sweet potatoes lately too period but she eats people food because I lost two dogs to cancer and I don't think that all the fillers in the dog food are good for them so I just cook for her. Also don't believe in over vaccinating and all the toxic flea medications ... so I was using tea tree shampoo on her quite frequently and I never gave it a second thought. I hope that bathing her periodically was tea tree oil didn't hurt her. I haven't done it in a long time because I can't find the shampoo anymore but she doesn't seem to have problem with fleas at all. Our Pest Control here must do a great job with ridding the grass of any fleas. And I do walk her over in the park but I've never had a problem with fleas praise the Lord!!!
So thank you very much for putting my mind at ease. If I do find that tea tree shampoo again in the future is it okay to bathe her with that?