Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 4month old French bulldog started Licking her vulva and…

My 4month old French bulldog...
My 4month old French bulldog started
Licking her vulva and now it is red around it
What is it and how can I treat it
6/20/2017
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

How long has he been showing these signs?

Any other changes to the skin (ie pustules, pimples, crusts/scaling, ulcers, or sores)?

Has she had any change to her urination? Dribbling, going more often, straining?

Any discharge from her vulva? What does it look like?

Can you take a photo of this to let me see what you are seeing? To post a photo, you can use the paper clip button on the tool bar above the text box. Or if you cannot see that on your phone/computer, then you can post them on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web link here for me to have a peek.

Hello again,

Poor wee lass, she does have some inflammation and bacterial dermatitis starting there. Though I am glad to hear that she hasn't any urinary signs as these can sometimes trigger the skin lesions secondarily.

With this in mind, we can start some supportive care. To start, you can begin by cleansing this area 2-3 times daily with a mild antiseptic (ie dilute betadine, chlorohexidine, or salt water). Afterwards, pat the area dry and apply an OTC antibiotic cream +/- hydrocortisone cream. The former can help keep infection away and the latter can reduce inflammation and itchiness. As well, since we need to prevent self-trauma, after all this we can put an e-collar on her to protect this.

As well, since these rashes can often be triggered by an underlying allergy, you could also consider an antihistamine at this stage. Most commonly we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl). A low dose (ie. 0.5-2 mg per pound of their body weight twice daily) can just be enough to reduce that allergic irritation. We like to keep the dose low, as it can cause drowsiness (just like people). And of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first.

Overall, as these changes appear quite mild and she hasn't urinary signs or vaginal discharge; we can try the above here. Of course, if this is causing severe irritation or doesn't settle with the above; then we'd want to have this checked by your vet as oral antibiotics +/- anti-inflammatories may be needed to treat this from the inside out if it persists.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian