Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My beagle had cherry eye surgery in August 2016. After that,

My beagle had cherry...

My beagle had cherry eye surgery in August 2016. After that, tear production in both eyes were tested and found low, but with medication returned to normal in the non-affected eye. However, the eye that had the surgery has had heavy green mucus discharge that needs to be cleaned 3-4 times a day even now. I suspect it is infection based, since he was on antibiotics for a couple of weeks (after another dog bit him) and during the course of antibiotics his green discharge disappeared. Could you please advise me on what to do? Thank you! - Sherlock's mom

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations your beagle can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the beagle's name?

Sherlock

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sherlock?

Not that I can think of... He's very healthy and active otherwise, and almost 2 years old now. He was 11 months in August last year when he had the surgery.

6/20/2017
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian

Hi I am Dr. Denney. I am currently reviewing your post now. Please give me a few minutes to type my response. Thank you for trusting us with your question.

Is Sherlock still on the dry eye medicated drops or have they been discontinued?

Can you also tell me the last time his tear production was checked ?

Still continuing

What strength is the cyclosporin drops (should say on the bottle 1 or 2%)

how often are you putting them in his eyes and

have you also added in eye lubrication ointments ?

Dry eye also known as KCS is a condition which make the tear film abnormal and can make it green or yellow and lead to secondary bacterial infections. So you may be correct that there is a bacterial component, but that should resolve if we can get his tear production regulated.

sorry, I dont' have access to the cyclosporin drops right now so can't tell you the concentration, but I put it in once a day. Lubrication drops, yes, about 2 times a day, mainly to make the mucus more fluid so I can wipe it easily. He definitely has dry eye in the affected eye (tear production was way below normal) but the green mucus stopped when he was on antibiotics for another issue, with no change to his eye medication.

If his tear production has not been checked in the last 3 months I would recommend having it rechecked so we know where we are at.

I usually will increase the drops to 3x a day and add in eye lubricating ointment 3x a day as well and see If that improves things, but we need to know where his tear level is at now before we make too many adjustments.

So if you are only instilling the drops 2x a day increase to 3x a say and call your veterinarian and ask for a lubricating eye ointment ( I use optixcare ointment which is what the ophthalmologists recommend using). 3 x a day as well

Some oral antibiotics can affect dry and help it but it is not a ling term solution to the problem like the drops.

Since you are only doing it 1x a day increase to 2 x a day and bump the lubricating ointment to 3 x a day. Give it a week to see if there is any improvement. If there is not any improvement then I strongly recommend getting his tear production rechecked and also check to make sure the conjunctiva is not housing a secondary infection which an affect the dry eye condition for the worse.

Thanks! Will ask his vet to re-check tear production and bump up the medicine and lubricating drops.

Good luck let me know how it goes.

If this was helpful I would be most appreciative if you could take the time to rate my assistance so the site will credit me with helping you.

I am also here for additional questions you may have just reach out to me here and I will be more than happy to assist you.

Kind regards,

Dr. Meghan Denney

Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian