Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

He is a mix of chihuahua and pomeranian and used to weigh

over 5 lbs. One year...
He is a mix of chihuahua and pomeranian and used to weigh over 5 lbs. One year old. About a month ago he started pooping in LARGE quantities and is lots
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the Chihuahua's name?
Customer: He is losing weight. Don't see any wormd. Good appetite.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the Chihuahua?
Customer: Max
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/19/2017
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I we like to add that his poop is very soft and yellowish

I'm sorry to hear of this with Max. Both maldigestion and malabsorption disorders should be considered when my patient is eating well yet losing weight and producing more stool than normal. Exocrine pancreatic insufficiency (EPI) - the pancreas isn't producing enough digestive enzymes - is the primary cause of maldigestion and can be tested for with the blood test TLI. If EPI is diagnosed supplementing Max's diet with digestive enzymes should suffice. Testing Max's serum folate and vitamin B12 levels can be helpful in determining if a malabsorptive disorder exists. Either or both might be decreased in cases of malabsorption which often turn out to be due to severe inflammatory bowel disease or lymphangectasia - a disease involving the intestinal lacteal (lymphatic vessels). Scoping and biopsy of the gastrointestinal tract is needed to confirm why malabsorption exists. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

The change in Max's poop quality is consistent with both EPI and malabsorptive disorders.

Very quick reply and helpful. 5 stars

Thank you for your kind words. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Max is doing much better. We tried just feeding him some yogurt or activia and it seemed to help overnight! And he loves it!!! So far so good.

Thank you for the good update! I aprpeciate your taking the time to let me know.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian