Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Researching illness after rabies and bordetella shot given,

Customer Question
Hello researching illness after rabies...
Hello researching illness after rabies and bordetella shot given
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?
Customer: Very long story. Took her in for her shots she was
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: Took lexie in for her shots, she was happy healthy. two days later she would not eat, staring at floor not pooping spit up and nose dripping
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: runs as well that where black
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: there saying its not shots. Blood work fine xray fine. She has never had a rabie shot with another shot. Took her back to vet today black stool wont eat.
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/19/2017
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 5 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Have there been any changes to the diet? New food? New treats? Bones? Human food? The opportunity to get into the trash? Torn up toys? Stressful changes to the environment?

Do you have a copy of bloodwork to share?

What medications has she been placed on?

Is she at home or hospitalized?

No changes just shots. Blood work was all good x-rays good.
I take her out. Never alone she is tiny 4 pds. I pick up her poop.
She had shots became I'll two days later. Where I took her they said there is nothing else they can do for her. They gave her nausea shot and pills for diarrhea along with can of wet food. They said it was not the shots. I read that you should never give a rabies shot with another vac. On same day! 3 weeks in between. Along with reactions are come in little to small dogs. She has never had her rabies shot with another in nine years. They also told me no more shots for her!
I feel like they are blowing me off, really this is how you treat a loyal customer of 6 years. No sympathy for my dog. She is my life.
They told me there is something else going on. Maybe she got stung by a bee, or a child through something in yard or she ate something in garbage, really. My house is spot less we have block walls around yard it is all pool, plus I watch her always. She only gets carrots and green beans as treats.
I still believe it was combo shot of rabies and Bordetello.She is to tiny for all that vac at same time. I wish I would of read about shots but I trusted them with her. ��
No meds they told me doesn't need any, that was owner of practice.

I'm not sure where you read this, but the internet is full of misinformation. Almost ALL dogs are on a schedule of receiving 2-4 vaccines per visit when their annual vaccines are done. That said, smaller breed dogs do commonly have reactions to vaccines and if she battles ailments like this her vaccines need to either be separated or she needs to be premedicated with steroids and antihistamines 30-60 minutes before her appointment. We do see that vaccines can cause a GI upset. With that said, if you feel like they are blowing you off...move on to another hospital. Black stool can indicate upper GI bleeding and it can be a severe concern. They should have offered to hospitalize her if you were that worried. If she's improving at home, you can continue to observe but if she's not find another location and take her back in. If she is passing black stool, not eating, vomiting and her nose is dripping, she needs to be on medication to treat the symptoms.

I am a bit confused my this statement: "They gave her nausea shot and pills for diarrhea along with can of wet food" and this one "No meds they told me doesn't need any, that was owner of practice." If they did not prescribe medication, she needs to be seen again. If they did, these should help with time. However, at 4#, she needs to be eating. If you need to hand feed her small amounts to keep her eating, do so. I would also ask your vet about sending you home with a tube of nutrical to keep her blood glucose within normal ranges. Dogs this small are apt to suffer low glucose levels when not eating well.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in. How is Lexie today?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse