Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Our Yorkie Poo is about 8lbs, 8 years old. He started what I…

Customer Question
Our Yorkie Poo is...

Our Yorkie Poo is about 8lbs, 8 years old. He started what I would call dry heaving yesterday and actually threw up two gas sacs of flem that looked like balloons. He is acting normal except when he dry heaves which ended yesterday morning after a walk and the sacs came out. This morning he is doing the same thing but nothing coming up. He is somewhat lethargic but acts fairly normal except the heaving. He ate yesterday afternoon and drank normally. Today he is avoiding anything.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about dry?

Just that it appears to be from the stomach but the gas sacs could be from the lungs. He is not coughing though. It is a vomiting action. Before the sacs came up he had thrown up a white secretion.

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/18/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Christie, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Christie
Dr. Christie, Dog Veterinarian

Hi there, my name is*****! I'm sorry to hear your dog is having a problem.

Could your Yorkie Poo have eaten something he shouldn't, such as trash, cat food, socks/underwear, dog toy, etc? Any recent changes in dog food or treats?

Also, does he have any previous medical issues or is he on any medication? Is he going to the bathroom normally?

Vomiting phlegm and mucous and dry heaving in a little dog is concerning. Our little dogs tend to have very sensitive stomachs and are prone to GI upset and pancreatitis. Also we would consider the possibility of a foreign body, or foreign material such as trash or toy or sock, that has been ingested. Even the best dogs and cats can eat something when we are not watching. I am concerned that your dog continues to try to vomit and is not eating or drinking today.

I would recommend first fasting your pet at this time. You can offer small amounts of water, but no food. Should he vomit up the water or not keep it down, withhold water for right now. I would take your dog into your vet today or schedule an exam first thing tomorrow. I think your pet should have an x-ray of his belly to begin with and consider bloodwork to test his pancreas enzymes. If your pet is also having diarrhea, no bowel movements >24 hours, or bloody diarrhea, please take your pet into the emergency clinic ASAP as this can be very serious.

Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns! I will be online for a little while longer! Best wishes for a speedy recovery for your dog!

Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian

Hi I am Dr. Denney. I wanted to follow up behind Dr. Christie and see how your Yorkie Poo is doing.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I sent a video of his symptom. We took him to a vet yesterday

I am sorry I do not see a video but I am glad that you were able to get him seen by your veterinarian. What did they find and is he doing better today?