Dr. Emily
Dr. Emily, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate veterinarian at a small animal clinic
77376308

Our dog Jordy is a 4 month old lab. I about 2 months ago I

Customer Question

JA: Hi. What seems to be the problem?
Customer: Our dog Jordy is a 4 month old lab. I about 2 months ago I noticed urinary frequency so took her in with a urine sample (sterile cup as I work in a clinic). They did a UA and it showed WBC's, RBC's and bacteria. She was prescribed a 7 day course of Clavamox. This helped. 2 days after finishing the abx her symptoms returned and I also noticed some white/green vaginal discharge. They did a cystoscopy which showed no stones. They also collected her urine while they were in there and the UA was negative. They restarted her on a 2 week course of Clavamox. They also cultured it and e-coli grew and was susceptible to Clavamox. She still had discharge which I was wiping with baby wipes. Like clockwork, 2 days after finished the antibiotic it was back. We took her in, she was Cathed and restarted on Clavamox. I took her to a different vet and he felt the right step were being taken and we started her on a cranberry pill. The culture showed a different bacteria this time-the ver called my husband so I don't know which one, so we switched her to Simplicef for 2 weeks, which we had to increase her dose after 2 weeks due to weight gain so she was on in for 3 weeks. She finished this 2 days ago and she's incontinent today. Our vet is closed but we have an appt monday as we were supposed to have her recultured. What are your thoughts? Thank you!
JA: I'm sorry that my is feeling poorly. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about my?
Customer: Not that I can think of. The second vet we took her to mentioned her vulva was hidden somewhat. He also mentioned that spaying her before 6 months could help.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I would like to assist with your question. The white/green discharge can occur in puppies and is not due to the urinary tract infection. This is called vaginitis and typically resolves after the spay. I would highly recommend spaying her at any time.

As far as the urinary tract infection, having a sample cultured is definitely the next step. A recessed vulva (the hidden vulva) can cause more frequent urinary tract infections so the outside area needs to be cleaned daily to help prevent recurrence of infection.

Clavamox is a good broad spectrum antibiotic and should have taken care of the infection. Before starting her on another course of treatment, a culture needs to be done to verify that an infection is present. In case she also has puppy vaginitis, the urine sample should be taken directly from her bladder (cystocentesis) instead of being caught while she urinates.

The incontinence that you are noticing today can occur due to a bladder infection because the inflammation changes their ability to retain urine normally in their bladder and not leak. However, incontinence is not overly common with puppy infections so this is more concerning. The next diagnostic step after doing the culture (again) is to have a special procedure done to check for a congenital abnormality that is leading to these frequent infections. These can be with her kidney, ureter or bladder. There is an uncommon problem that the ureters can attach in the wrong spot to the bladder causing urinary issues.