Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

Can you give a dog naproxen? He was bitten on the leg by a

Customer Question

can you give a dog naproxen?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?
Customer: he was bitten on the leg by a dog and his foot swollen
JA: Is the dog bleeding a lot?
Customer: no
JA: Phew. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: toby 5 years
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about toby?
Customer: not that I can think of
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

No, both naproxen and ibuprofen are toxic to dogs. At just 2.5 mg per pound of body weight naproxen will cause gastrointgestinal ulceration and at 7 mg per pound of body weight renal failure arises. You’re necessarily constrained to either aspirin dosed at 10 mg per pound of body weight (22 mg per kg of body weight) with food at 12 hour intervals or acetaminophen (Tylenol, e.g.) dosed at 7 mg per pound of body weight (15 mg per kg of body weight) thrice daily. Acetaminophen isn’t antiinflammatory as is aspirin, however.

Full skin thickness bite wounds will abscess if a systemic antibiotic isn't on board within 48 hours of the bite. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.