Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

8 lb poodle is licking anus - red/raw - spots of blood...

Customer Question

8 lb poodle is licking anus - red/raw - spots of blood... seems uncomfortable
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the poodle's name and age?
Customer: Charlie 4 yrs
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Charlie?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Now if Charlie has a raw anus, we need to tread with care.

Often this is a side effect from self-trauma/licking which can be related to anal gland issues (ie infection, impaction, etc), allergies, or secondary to diarrhea. So, we may need to have his gland checked if he is very sore or we see more blood.

Though for the moment, we can start some supportive care to ease his signs. To start, you can begin by cleansing this area 2-3 times daily with a mild antiseptic (ie dilute betadine, chlorohexidine, or salt water). Afterwards, pat the area dry and apply an OTC antibiotic cream +/- hydrocortisone cream. The former can help keep infection away and the latter can reduce inflammation and itchiness. As well, since we need to prevent self-trauma, after all this we can put an ecollar on Charlie to protect this.

As well, if allergies are a concern for Charlie, then you can also consider an antihistamine at this stage. Most commonly we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl). A low dose (ie. 0.5-2 mg per pound of their body weight twice daily) can just be enough to reduce that allergic irritation. We like to keep the dose low, as it can cause drowsiness (just like people). And of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first.

Overall, we do have a few concerns given hi signs, So, we can try to soothe them for him just now. But if his signs linger then we'd want his vet to check his anal glands +/- start systemic/oral treatment to get him settled here.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.
Hi Helen,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.