Dr. Emily
Dr. Emily, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate veterinarian at a small animal clinic
77376308

I have a 11 week old chorkie pup. to give you a background

Customer Question

i have a 11 week old chorkie pup. to give you a background on him the litter was born on march 29th of this year. he is the runt of the litter. the whole litter was bottle fed due to retained placentas in the mom and a emergency spay she underwent to save her life. she was unable to nurse after 3 days of their birth. on april 15 he had an accident. one of my daughters had placed the water bowl for the mom in the box with her and the pups and this little pup fell into the bowl of water. ingested alot of water. my daughter was the one who pulled him out. he ended up at the emergency vet in my state. he was 3 ounces at the time. they gave lasix to help clear up the fluid in the lungs. he got better. remained bottle fed. fast forward to may. all pups were weaned off formula and was on solid puppy food by the 15th of may. the runt could not chew the food. i placed him on pedigree puppy wet dog food since he was having such difficullty eating the regular food even when it was smushed up. he was on this food for 3 days. his poop became very smelly and turned a weird redish/Burgundy color and was almost like a gelatin. and on the 3rd day he had a seizure. he had been very lethargic while on the food as wells. i stopped the wet food. i went and purchased another can of the formula (he had been eating prior to the regular food) and also a scale to weigh him. he weighed 6.3 ounces on may 19th when i restarted the formula. he thrives well on the formula. has even gained weight. as of today he is up to 11 ounces. i have tried dog food 2 times again. i purchased the purina toy breed puppy food hoping it was small enough for him to eat. it was but he would not chew it. he swallowed whole. about 30 minutes later he threw it back up whole. i tried a second time. i crushed up the puppy food so chewing wouldnt be an issue. he ate it. he was not playful like he had been. just kind of laid there and wouldnt move much. 15-20 minutes later hes throwing it back up. went back to the formula. and hes fine. my question is can i give him vitamins? and if so what kind of supplements can i give him. and how do i dose for such a small puppy. can i give him human supplements? i have liquid calcium ithe vet had me purchase for the mom while in labor but she wouldnt take it. i just want him to be healthy. and hes gaining weight but he is still super frail and i dont believe he is getting all the nutrients he needs. any help you can give would be so helpful
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the pup will be able to digest that. What is the pup's name?
Customer: piglet
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about piglet?
Customer: that is really all there is to know about him from start to finish
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
this morning upon waking his head was laying over and he could not stand. he couldn't hold his head up. i did not feed him formula before he went to bed last night like i usually do but as soon as i gave him his formula this morning he was back up and walking within 10 to 15 minutes. i just do not think that hes getting all the nutrients his little body needs and i really want to give him the vitamins he needs to help him grown strong. im happy hes gaining weight finally but i think he needs more
Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I would like to assist with your concern today.

A couple things to address here. The episode he had this morning sounds like a hypoglycemic event (low blood sugar). This is because of his small size. Since he did not get formula before bed and this happened, that basically shows us that at this time, he still needs to be fed frequently. Having a meal before bed will be important for him.

As far as vitamins, do not use any human product. The amounts in them would be much to high for his size. Also do not use the calcium. We only use this for nursing moms. The product that would be beneficial for him is nutrical. It is a flavored gel with calories and vitamins. The amount is basically a pea sized amount twice a day.

However, my main concern is that he has a bigger health issue going on. With his breed and his signs, I am worried about a liver shunt. This occurs when the blood vessels to the liver do not form properly and is common in his breed. It also does not show up until we try to put the puppy on regular food, dry or canned. They tend to do fine on formula or their mother's milk because the liver does not process this the same. The way a shunt is first detected is with a blood panel to check his liver enzymes. I HIGHLY recommend doing this as soon as you are able.

Please review this information and let me know how I can help further.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
when he went to the pet hospital they did blood work on him and didnt say anything about anything like that. if it was the liver then how would it be fixed

If the blood work was done early enough, there may not have been a change yet. Blood work is a screening tool, but an ultrasound looks more closely. Depending on the severity, surgery is needed to fix the issue. Sometimes the signs can be managed with medication if surgery is not an option.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Could I not just leave him in formula?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Leave him on the formula*

You can if he continue to gain weight and if you supplement with the nutrical. However, as an adult, you'll have to watch his weight closer

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
What would I look for as he gets older

Basically the he isn't keeping weight on. It can be hard to maintain weight on a liquid only diet.

You can also check his gum, eye, and skin color. If there is a yellow color to it, that is a sign that his liver is not doing well.

Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 3 months ago.

Hello! I wanted to check in and see how things were going since we last spoke.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
he woke this morning in the same state. bent sideways and not moving much. except this time i cant get him to eat very much. he ate a little but not enough to make him snap out of this.

Has he been about the same the last few days?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
hes been better. made sure i fed him frequently so this wouldn't happen. but in the last couple days I've noticed he hasn't been finishing his meal like he usually does. he usually licks the bowl clean. i just put him down to see if he would hold his own weight and he did. so he straightened up and walked to me. so thats better than a little while ago

Continue to feed those frequent small amounts. Have you thought at all about getting the blood work rechecked to look further into his liver?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
i have. i actually have an appt with my vet this afternoon to look at him cause this worries me. i dont want to lose this little one. until the though could i try feeding with a syringe again?

Oh good. I'm glad you have an appointment. Yes, you can try slow syringe feeding.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
everytime i try to put the bowl up under his mouth he pulls away. im not sure why hes not wanting to eat like he was

I understand. Try the syringe feeding instead.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
why do stores not carry nutra cal

I don't know why.... they may have a different brand, like supplical or a different high calorie supplement.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
what would i ask for

https://www.petsmart.com/dog/dental-care-and-wellness/vitamins-and-supplements/gnc-ultra-mega-high-calorie-booster-dog-formula-5169153.html?utm_id=500%7Cpg93875%7C340212895354&gclid=CJfVhPrx0dQCFQYyaQodmWcNuQ&lsft=utm_source%3Agoogle%2Cutm_term%3A5169153%2Cutm_medium%3Acpc%2Cutm_content%3AGSC%20-%20PLA%20-%20Hardgoods%20%7C%20Dog%20-%20Supplies%20&utm_medium=cpc

Oh shoot, that link may not work....

PetSmart has GNC Ultra Mega High Calorie Booster Dog Formula

PetCo has Tomlyn Nutri-Cal Puppy Dietary Supplement

What else can I answer for you at this time?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
the gnc high calorie at petsmart...is that like a milk formula
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
wait i see it. its the gel

Yes!

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
to bad they dont have a high calorie milk formula. but thank you for your help. i really appreciate it. ill go get a syringe and see if i can get him to eat some more.

Sounds good, you are welcome.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Just wanted to let you know they did not do blood work as of right now. They did however check his blood sugar because have the episode this morning and it was low enough that the machine could not read a number out. After nutrical and some type of sugar e-liquid they gave him it went up to 33. They gave me a Purina food to try him on that is supposed to be a high protein. So now we're just going to kind of wait and see

Ok, thank you for the update. Very scary that his level dropped that low despite the frequent meals you feed.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
She did say the possibility of there being a liver shunt. Told me what all to watch out for by putting him on a high protein food. And even if there is a shunt I have to fatten him up some more before surgery would even be an option.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
She said the same thing about the blood sugar. She said that low of a blood sugar is not compatible with Life that we've got feed him every 2 hours to keep his blood sugar up

That is true, what they said about beefing him up prior to surgery.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Is there anything I can feed him? I'm having to forcefeed the wet puppy food the vet gave me. He won't even take the formula now. He had a bad bad bad spell last night. I left him food but he did not eat it. The nutrical brought him back. I'm sticking to force feeding him the puppy food and his willingness to eat the nutrical to keep him going. But I'm trying to find something that he can eat. I've been looking up liquid diets online that is high in protein that maybe he might actually eat. I've found one that you boil white meat chicken, beef, liver and vegetables etc. And the puppy eats the broth. Any ideas?