Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Evidently while we were sleeping my minpin got into my wifes

Customer Question
back pack and ate a...
evidently while we were sleeping my minpin got into my wifes back pack and ate a bag reeses miniture peanut butter cups its been Im guessing three hours or more since she injested . so its most probably in her system
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: diamond she 6 years and she is fat. we have restricted her diet to get her weight down.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about diamond?
Customer: she ate cat litter with cat poo when she was a puppy.... took her to the vet. since then she is more sensitive to what food she eats
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/17/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How many did she have access to?

What does she weigh?

How is Diamond just now?

she weighs about 13 pounds, wife left back pack on floor was zipped almost closed. but she forced her way in and found the bag. we woke up about 730 found the wrappers on the floor with the bag. she is up and around like her normal self.

Hello again,

Now without knowing how many she had, we do need to tread with care; though thankfully there isn't much chocolate in these (its mostly peanut butter). So, unless she had quite a few, we'd only expect possible vomiting, appetite loss, and diarrhea over the next 12-24 hours. So while we could use over the counter activated charcoal at this point (13 grams for a dog her size), we don't strictly need to. You can choose to just take things easy and monitor for today. As well to offset any GI upset, you can consider offering a light diet option. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled. Further to this, if we see any nausea, we can also treat with an antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). Whichever you use, we'd give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption and of course double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. But again thankfully there isn't much chocolate in these so we'd only expect GI signs for Diamond if she had quite a few.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

looking at the evidence..... 12 ounce bag 40 pieces total think she ate about 15 to 20 pieces at a minimum so we will watch her and restrict her diet.

Hello again,

If it was about half the bag and we'd assume that these are 50% chocolate (really I think they are even less than that), that would only be a mild dose and GI upset would be our main concerns. So, do use the above and hopefully we can just minimize any issues from her thievery.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian