Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog Pepper -half cavalier spaniel and half cocker - age

Customer Question
My dog Pepper -half cavalier...
My dog Pepper -half cavalier king charles spaniel and half cocker - age 12 - has been wheezing for a while. I took her to our vet who did bloodwork and xrays to the tune of 600$, put her on some antibiotics that did noth help and she is still wheezing. i think it may be esophageal paralysis but don't know what to do for her and am hesitant to return to our vet
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Pepper
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Pepper?
Customer: No
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/17/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Emily Bemrose,
 replied 5 months ago
Emily Bemrose

Hello, my name is***** I have been a small animal veterinarian for ten years and am happy to try to help with Pepper. Wheezing can be due to a number of things in a dog Pepper's age. The more common causes would be heart disease, allergic bronchitis, tracheal collapse, and laryngeal paralysis. Less commonly we can see things like tumors in the upper airway, parasites depending on what part of the country you are in, or problems in the nasal cavity creating the wheeze rather than in the throat or lungs. Do you know if a radiologist read the X-rays that were done of Pepper's chest? Does Pepper have a heart murmur that you know of?

The usual work up of a dog that is wheezing would include a workup similar to what your vet did, including bloodwork and radiographs. Antibiotics are often used if there is evidence of infection or inflammation in the lungs on the radiographs, which could be related to pneumonia or bronchitis. With there being no improvement, the next steps may be repeating X-rays, or doing a procedure called a trans-tracheal wash to try to obtain a sample from down in Pepper's lungs. These cells can be analyzed to try to determine the underlying cause, and this procedure can often be done along with a scope of the upper airway to rule out laryngeal paralysis. Tracheal collapse can be seen on radiographs sometimes, but not always, so sometimes depending on the equipment your veterinarian has a scope can be passed into the trachea and bronchi to evaluate for collapse. Sometimes this test takes referral to a veterinary specialist.

I would recommend having Pepper rechecked, either by the veterinarian you saw before or, if you'd rather, someone new. If additional testing is not within your means from a cost perspective, often other medications can be prescribed as a trial treatment, and if Pepper responds its a way to get a diagnosis based on response to therapy. Additional medications may include steroids for an allergy, bronchodilators, or cough suppressants. I hope you find this information useful and Pepper feels better soon!

Thanks. Your answer was pretty much what i already knew and i will follow up with my vet. i was completely misled by the pricing here and thought i was only committing to pay $5 so was rather surprised to see a bill for close to $30.
Emily Bemrose
Emily Bemrose
Emily Bemrose