Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dogs tail has been between her legs limp since yesterday,

Customer Question
she won't lay down by...
My dogs tail has been between her legs limp since yesterday, she won't lay down by herself and she wants to lay on top of me or right next to me at all times. This morning i woke up to her crying in pain once cause she was trying to lay back down and once to go outside. Once outside she urinates try to deficate then tries to urinate again. After she just walks around or yard tail still not moving. Should we take her to the vet? Last time her tail envy lump they said it was strained from a hike we did but we didn't do a hike lately and the only thing i can think of is would swallowing plastic like part of a squeaker do this to her? Thank you
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about tail?
Customer: She did lift it a little to go to the bathroom but that's it
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/17/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

If you lift it, does the tail fall right back down?

If you pinch the tip, does she react like she can feel it?

Can she pass stool and urine? Does it look normal?

Any change of a fall or injury?

How long ago did she eat the squeaker?

Are her gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

My answers are below your questions...If you lift it, does the tail fall right back down?
- Yes falls back down
- she tried pushing me away when i go towards her tail
- she passed stool last night about 8pm looked normal no red and nothing in it
-she is urinating but if we stay outside within 2 minutes she keeps trying to urinate again
Any change of a fall or injury?
- i don't remember anything
How long ago did she eat the squeaker?
-I'm thinking it was about 2-3 days ... Squeaker toys don't last long with her so we only give them to her every once in a while when we are home
-pink .. Not sure
-doesnt seem to mind the belly

Hello again,

Thank you for those, though just as I am considering all her signs, how old is she?

And with the urinary straining, is she passing small volumes?

She was a rescue but we have had her 3 years and they thought she was 6 months old. They urinating isn't long like normal so i would say small/medium.

Thank you,

Now given her signs I don't suspect the squeaker is out culprit. It is possible for a blockage to make stool passage difficult and cause gut discomfort but that lapse in tail use is just more severe then what we'd expect from that.

Instead if she hasn't any movement of the tail and we cannot be sure she has no feeling (her pushing you away is more a guarding a sign then telling us she has feeling in it) or is very painful, then we cannot rule out a possible nerve or spinal issue (ie inflammation, abscess, disc compression, etc) here. We can also see similar signs with anal gland issues (though the tail shouldn't be that non-functional) or severe muscle pain but a lack of activity (often swimming sets it off) makes that a bit less likely. And I have to say her urinary straining and small volumes doesn't quite fit with those. Instead that will usually be a sign we often see with bladder infection, bladder stones or crystals; but if she has nerve pain it may be that it is causing general discomfort there leading her to posture like this.

With this all in mind and since nerve/spinal issues are a concern, it'd be ideal to have her seen at this point. This is because if we have a possible disc compression, we do want to be proactive before the signs can progress. But also we'd really want her on a dog safe anti-inflammatory (ie Metacam, Rimadyl, possibly steroids) to reduce inflammation, discomfort and see if we can get her settled here. But as we do that, we'd want that bladder double checked since we may need to also use antibiotics if there is an infection lurking there.

Overall, her signs are a bit vague for a single issue but if that tail has no voluntary movement itself and just dropped like a stone when lifted, I am most concerned nerve/spinal issues are present and we do want to tread with care for those and be proactive in trying to settle this for her.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Thank you .. Made an appointment for her today

You are very welcome, my dear.

I do feel that is best with this situation. :)

All the best,

Dr. B.

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian