Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My has been showing some weakness in her back legs.....we

Customer Question

My ***** ***** has been showing some weakness in her back legs.....we dont think she hurt herself....so we arent sure what is going on
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: Yeah....nothing. no wounds. And she lets us mess with her legs and feet
JA: The Veterinarian will know what to do. How old is russell?
Customer: 9
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about russell?
Customer: No health issues otherwise
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has she had these signs?

Any history of a trauma or fall?

Is she stiff or dragging the legs?

If you feel the legs, any swellings, tender spots, or bony crunching?

Any discomfort when you flex and extend each joint? Any joint swellings or puffiness?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
She has had these symptoms for a few days.....she doesnt get upset when we move her legs....extend her joints....no swelling. No injury that we know of. She is not able to bear much weight.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello again,

Now I share your concern about her hind leg weakness. This is something we can see with underlying arthritis at her age and that can make them prone to secondary strains/sprains. That said if she is generally weak then we cannot rule out possible nerve or spinal issues. So, we need to tread with care. And if she has any loss of feeling in her back legs, you see her try to stand on the tops of her paws without fixing them or she seems very wobbly in the back end (crossing the legs), then we'd want to have seen by the local vet urgently to check for those more severe issues.

Otherwise in the meantime we can plan to rest and monitor her. So, just keep walks to the garden and no jumping on/off furniture or using stairs. For arthritis, we can consider starting an OTC joint supplement. Often we will use glucosamine/chondroitin. This is a nutrient supplement that is available at your vets, pet shops, and health food stores (as capsules, liquids, and even treats). There It works by aiding joint suppleness by helping cartilage replenish itself and blocking enzyme destruction of cartilage in the joint. Often we can find this helpful in animals with mild signs and is a long term therapy but it may be of benefit for her. Normally we give dogs 300mg glucosamine + 50mg chondroitin a day per 10 pounds of body weight.

Further to this, the natural anti-inflammatory properties of Omega 3 + 6 (EPA + DHA) fish oils can be helpful in soothing sore joints. Again this can be purchased over the counter at vets, pet stores, and health food stores. If you did want to try this for her, we tend to give a dose equal to 20mg per pound of their body weight. So, this would be another supportive measure you could consider.

Otherwise, if she doesn't settle then we'd again want her vet to see her. They can check for spine/nerve issues but also start dog safe non steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) like Metacam, Rimadyl, and Previcox to help settle this for her and get her moving normally again.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.