Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My dogs got into a fight and one of them has a dime sized

Customer Question

My dogs got into a fight and one of them has a dime sized wound on her head where you can see the skull. Our vet isn't open until Monday, what should i do until then?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is your dog bleeding a lot?
Customer: No
JA: Phew. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Vera she's 6
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Vera?
Customer: No she's healthy
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 4 months ago.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. It could be that this wound may need a couple of stitches so having your vet check Vera over at the next opportunity is the way to go. In the meantime if you were to wash the area with lukewarm salt water, then gently dab it dry with clean kitchen paper and apply the likes of Neosporin then this would go a long way to preventing any infection until your vet is available. Do this twice a day.

2. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Vera's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Should i put gaze over it too because although its not bleeding bad it is deep

A light covering should do no harm, just to prevent any foreign material getting into the wound ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Vera is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning her small wound ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott