Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

My yourkie schitzu is coughing lots and its a dry cough, llu

Customer Question

my yourkie schitzu is coughing lots and its a dry cough
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Veterinarian will know what you should do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: llu and shes 9 yrs old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about llu?
Customer: seen the vet but they want to do lots of xrays and scans but she already had those done 3 moths ago as she had lung cancer and had it removed and is clear of cancer
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 4 months ago.

Welcome! My name is***** am a 2003 UC Davis graduate and practice owner. Please reply with a hello so I know we are connected before continuing

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 4 months ago.

I will try to wait a few minutes more to see if you are online.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hello
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner and I regret that my state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow me to speak to customers by phone in this venue but other experts in this category may be able to assist you in this regard. Please let me know if you'd like another expert to do so and I'll opt out of this conversation. Please stay in the conversation if you wish.

It's important that you have your dog's chest X-rayed once again as by the principle of Occam's Razor it's most likely that her lung cancer has returned.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
My dog had X-rays done last week and nothing showed in X-rays at that time. Now they want to do X-rays and MRI and ultra sound . It's very costly at 3000.00 for just these test and a blood test. They told me 3 months ago that the dog cancer was 100% gone and she was free of cancer. Could it be allergies ? If the cancer has returned can a blood test tell me that?

Thank you for the additional information. Allergies are possible but a chronic sterile bronchitis or collapsing trachea is more likely if cancer hasn't returned. Considering your financial constraints, it would be reasonable to see how presumptive therapy with a glucocorticoid (steroid) such as prednisone affects her. A steroid is the initial manner in which to address chronic sterile bronchitis, would reduce the inflammation associated with a collapsing trachea (windpipe), and would act as an antihistamine if allergies are, indeed, the problem. if you explain your fiancial contraints to your vet, I don't believe that the vet will object to prescribing the prednisone. Please continue our conversation if you wish.