Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Salkin only have I told you that my phone automatically

For Dr Michael Salkin only Good...
For Dr Michael Salkin only
Good Evening Sir, have I told you that my phone automatically types all that as soon as I type the word "for"?! So this is new for frankie. Can you tell me why he is getting stains like this on his eyes?
He had more surgery a week ago yesterday so only new thing is cone of shame but I can't see how that would relate.
6/17/2017
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

At least your phone thinks I'm famous! What a face...

There's quite a bit of inflammation in the medial canthic (corners of the eyes nearest to his nose) areas. I suspect that that inflammation is increasing tear production (epiphora) and the excess tears are spilling onto his face and staining it. Tears contain porphyrin dyes. The goal is to find out why epiphora has arisen - an allergic/irritant conjunctivitis? A dacryocystitis (infection of the lacrimal apparatus)?

to the vet huh? He has a recheck to get stitches removed a wk from Monday can it wait?

That's a good time for the vet to take a look at Frankie's eyes. There's no rush as long as he appears comfortable - no squinting (blepherospasm) or pawing at his eyes.

OK doesn't seem to bug him. Some dogs have stains all the time, a lot of times the white dogs... Is that different?

There's always a reason for staining even if it's just that there's an inadequate lacrimal lake - not enough room for the amount of tears being produced. The color of the dog isn't a factor. The lighter the fur, the easier to see the staining, however.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Hi Corey,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
I'm sorry I forgot about this one! Had frankie seen and you were right, they gave me the steroid eye cream after testing for corneal abrasion. He's doing much better now thank you!!

No worries. Good to hear Frankie is going to live. Thank you once again.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian