Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

He jumped up and grabbed a steak schewer off the counter and

Customer Question

He jumped up and grabbed a steak schewer off the counter and ate the meat and the stick. do I need to be worried?
JA: It's hard to know for sure. The Veterinarian will figure it out.
Customer: My dog chewed a wooden skewer with meat on it off the counter - do I need to be concerned or what shall I do?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?
Customer: he only weighs 15 lbs - do I wait here for the response
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

How big was the stick?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It was a wooden skewer you put meat on to grill. So probably 8 to 10 inches or so

Did he chew it into smaller pieces?

Are you there?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I think he chewed it right up along with the meat. I was trying to get it away from him but he wouldn't come to me then it was gone a short time later

Friend, the immediate concern is that the stick can become obstructed and perforate the gastrointestinal tract, if this happens the outcome is likely fatal. He is a 15 lbs dog eating a 10 inch stick, this is very likely to happen. I don't think he will be able to pass this in the stool if he did not break it down into smaller pieces. For this reason, I would recommend having him checked by ER veterinarian. Do Not make him vomit the stick can damage the esophagus on the way out making matters worst. I realize that this answer may not be entire to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter