Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

Our dog Basil is 11 years old in October. He has been

Customer Question

Our dog Basil is 11 years old in October. He has been wanting to go outside a lot these past few weeks. When he goes outside he stays for 1-2 hours just sitting on the porch. This is new behavior for him. He is a collie/cockerspaniel mix. Just wondering if he is okay. We are a bit worried, but thinking it may be because he's getting older his habits are changing.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Basil?
Customer: He just had a tumor removed from his paw. it was noncancerous
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  jadedangel57 replied 4 months ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

It is necessary for me to get a little information from you before I can type up your reply. Your patience is appreciated.

What did he used to do that makes you think this is unusual behavior for him?

Does he seem to know everyone that he should know?

Do you find him in strange places within the house?

Does he ask to go out but want back in immediately or vice versa?

Any other strange behavior?