Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

Our 14 year old Lakeland Terrier is drinking more water than

Our 14 year old Lakeland Terrier is drinking more water than usual but not eating. He tries to ear but just cannot. He does lick peanut butter from our finger. We took him to the vet and had blood drawn which showed a mild elevation of white blood cells. Vet put him on an antibiotic and pectalin. Also, teeth have been neglected by us and we have not had them cleaned now for about 4 years. It is now four days later and nothing has changed. Our dog still tries to eat but just cannot.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the terrier's name?
Customer: Ozzie
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Ozzie?
Customer: No

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I am sorry to hear that your fellow Ozzie is having trouble chewing and eating and seems to be drinking more than usual.

I understand his veterinarian examined him and did some blood tests, showing mild elevations in his white blood cell numbers. If the antibiotics were going to help I would think that they would have done so by now.

Is his jaw hanging open all the time?

Or can he close his jaw but is unable to chew or bite down with any force?

Or is he unwilling or unable to open his mouth?

Is he in pain?

If he is unwilling or unable to open his mouth we need to consider disease processes that affect the muscles that control chewing (masticatory myositis) or his temperomandibular joint, or an abscess up behind his upper molar that makes opening his mouth and chewing excruciatingly painful.

If his mouth is hanging open, and he cannot seem to close it or chew, then nerve inflammation/damage of his facial nerve may be the cause.

Your fellow needs to see his veterinarian for a recheck. They will likely want to try getting him to open his mouth fully. If that isn't possible then sedation to see if his muscles relax and it is possible to open his mouth. If not then radiographs of his temperomandibular joint,jaw and skull, and a biopsy of his masticatory muscles (chewing muscles) could help with a diagnosis.

In the meantime he should be on fluids. You can blenderize canned dog food and broth to make a puree that he may be able to lick up. Or you can try some meat baby food. Ideally he should eat dog food, but he needs to eat now after 4 days of getting little to no food, so whatever we can get in is great.

Please let me know if I can be of further help.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you so much, especially for the tip of putting canned meat in the blender. We are going back to the vet so they can look for a possible access.

Sounds like a great plan. Please let me know how things go for him, poor fellow!